Cuban cichlids

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Chrisfits

Cuban cichlids

Post by Chrisfits » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm trying to find out a bit more on nandopsis tetracanthus like what kind of biotope they reside how to identify gender ect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated I can't seem to find all that much about them..
If anyone would like a stab at guessing sex on my biggest that'd be swell too
Cheers
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359672230.657641.jpg

Alex Odesit

Re: Cuban cichlids

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Your fish at the picture looks male to me. The large black spot on the middle of it body indicate that.
You can also check one of my topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4363
Alex

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks Alex,
I thought it may have been male due to its attitude!
That's actually the thread that got me to join this forum [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]you have some nice fish there!
Is the spot a good indicator from a young age? This fish is about 3 months ahead of the others I have. They range in size from .75" to 2" & the dark spot is pretty prominent on all 3 of those fish, I was hoping for a pair

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks Chris, I am glad that one of my topic made you join this great forum < Best of the Best, no kidding mate..
My Cuban is a female, even though we (my experienced fish keeper friends and myself wrongly identified her as a male during her maturing time). Possibly because she was one of the dominate fish in the tank at one point of time and have behavior and coloration resembling the male. Also few different variety of Cuban cichlids are knowing and if you search this forum you should find very interesting and detailed topic on varieties of the N.Tetracanthus with pictures and explanations.
As of Cuban cichlid temperament they vary greatly, as other fish do, but my girl is more tamed than aggressive, specially when get older. She got some burst of anger from time to time but 12" male Red Tiger Moto send her back to reality quickly. Her best friend is king of this 6 ft tank.. 14" ex C.Pearsei, they always close to each other..
Hope this help mate and enjoy your fish. What tank size you plan to keep the pair, I presume? Hope nothing less than 55 gal..
Alex

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:12 pm

No probs ;)
Sound like they can be fairly tricky to tell.. I'll have to have a search about then, I had no idea there were different types..
Yeah that one in the photo is mental!
Waiting on a 6x2.5x2 to be delivered at the moment the 4 are spread out in different tanks pictured one is in a 300l with a red devil & juvie jag, the next too biggest are in a 250l with some Africans & ones in with the angelfish,
The 6ft which I think works out to about 815l I'm planing on running a couple of splendida the Cubans, red devil & jag then seeing if I get pairs ect & just keep the best lookers to thin out the numbers as they get bigger.

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:25 am

thank you for join the club

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 am

and by the way nice photo of your fish

Return to “Central American Cichlids”