[ASK] Help to identify a vieja

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
goldcook

[ASK] Help to identify a vieja

Post by goldcook » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 am

Got this one from my importer labelled as a Vieja sp. "shinespot" (another variant of vieja synspilla) from Rio Usumacinta. But I think their coloration and body shape looks like a vieja melanurus. So I need some help to identify this fish

anyway, sorry for my bad english :D

thanks

Lee Nuttall

Re: [ASK] Help to identify a vieja

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Vieja synspila is now regarded as a junior synonym of V. melanura, so in essence they are the same just geographical variations. To help with confusion, I simply regard one as melanura 'orange morph' and the other melanura 'red headed morph'. Your fish seems to be the red head morph that we used to call synspila. The fish certainly isn't the Lago de Peten orange morph.

My understanding is that 'Shine spot'- is a name coined to a variation found in the waters of Belize, I'm not 100% sure if they are also found in Guatemala?? Looking at the photo, I personally don't see any shinespot characteristics in the fish shown. :?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:18 am

I see a red head and a partially developed line, which is corerect for the V melanura redhead

The fish does lok rather slim for this variety, but then the picture is taken from above - making all fishes slimmer then they actually are

I see no reason not to assume it is a V melanura redhead

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:51 am

I agree with Bas and Lee on your fish being 'synspila' or more currently 'melanura' Red. Here's a pic of one of mine. Notice the red head area and the partial horizontal blackish line (like yours is developing). Also a pic of 'melarura' Orange.

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

goldcook

Post by goldcook » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:38 pm

thanks everyone for your helpful comments :D

anyway, this is another photo of this fish in my friend's tank

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 pm

What is the size of the fish ?

Return to “Central American Cichlids”