Paratheraps breidohri pair with new spawn

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Paratheraps breidohri pair with new spawn

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 am

In a 165G, there are two different species, A. robertsoni and P. breidohri that have spawning territories about a foot apart. They seem to be respecting each others boundaries for the time being. Here's a video of the situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sP3v5g-wA4
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Paratheraps breidohri pair with new spawn

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm

So after about 36 hours, I decided to pull the spawn. I set up a 10G tank with 1/4 fresh aged water and the rest from the tank in which the eggs were laid. I have a sponge filter in there and a heater set for ~80-82 F. Even though the eggs should be hatching in another day and a half, I added a little methylene blue for insurance against fungus. At this point the eggs look remarkably fertile for a young pair. The white that you can see within the egg mass is some silica sand that was transferred over with the slate. Here's hoping!
Attachments
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7175.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 am

It looks like a great hatch. I'd say over 95% hatch rate. Here's a couple of pics of the newly hatched wrigglers.
IMG_7245.JPG
IMG_7248.JPG
- Albert Einstein

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Amazing! Really, this is one of my favorite cichlids of all time, though I've never kept them, I have a platonic relationship with this fish :-)
Wish you luck, it is a rare species to see let alone breed!

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 pm

ciclasoman wrote:Amazing! Really, this is one of my favorite cichlids of all time, though I've never kept them, I have a platonic relationship with this fish :-)
Wish you luck, it is a rare species to see let alone breed!
It's quickly becoming one of my favorites as well. I estimate that there are 200-300 fry in that spawn. Unfortunately as rare as they are, up here in my home town, they may as well be guppies (sorry guppy fanciers :oops:). The cichlid market (at least for CAs) is pretty limited locally. Thanks for your comments. I wish I could get some down to you!! Here's a pic of the fry right now, after being free swimming for 2 days.
Attachments
IMG_7261.JPG
- Albert Einstein

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Me too, i would like to set up a tank for them, the coloration is unique and their home range is very restricted. I think Canada has limitations for exports but if a local fish store can ship to Texas, I would cover your expenses and buy a handful of fish from you.
Best regards

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 am

ciclasoman wrote:Me too, i would like to set up a tank for them, the coloration is unique and their home range is very restricted. I think Canada has limitations for exports but if a local fish store can ship to Texas, I would cover your expenses and buy a handful of fish from you.
Best regards
I'll do some checking on the possibility of shipping. It will be a while before they are big enough, and with winter coming on (at least here it is), shipping might be problematic. I'll keep in touch on their progress through this thread. Here's a pic I just took of the fry with full bellies after a BBS meal. Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
IMG_7286.JPG
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Paratheraps breidohri spawn update

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm

The 'breidohri' fry that hatched on September 21st are now 18 days old. Here's a pic of the fry (taken today) feeding on newly hatched BBS. I feed them live and frozen on alternate days and am starting to work in some micro pellets. It's time to cull the spawn down to around 100 from the approximately 300 that now exist.
Jim
Attachments
IMG_7364.JPG
IMG_7364.JPG (157.45 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Central American Cichlids”