Do you think it'll heal up right?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Alden

Do you think it'll heal up right?

Post by Alden » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I received some E. Bocourti that were shipped in from Don Conkel. Some of them had picked on each other in transit. So if you look in my video, you will see that the dorsal fin is torn on some of them. Do you think it'll will heal up to normal appearance? They shipped in a month ago and have grown from about 2" to now the largest one is at least 3". But that dorsal fin still looks pretty much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9bowvA ... e=youtu.be

aclockworkorange

Re: Do you think it'll heal up right?

Post by aclockworkorange » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:14 pm

No, that typically won't heal.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:56 pm

If damage is done to the spiny ray itself in the dorsal or anal fin (broken off), it will not regenerate in my experience. If there is a split in the soft tissue between the spiny rays, or there is a split in the tissue between the soft rays, there is a good chance that it will heal. I have read somewhere that if the nitrate levels in the water are high, this will lessen the chance of a successful regeneration. I have one Chuco godmani about 10" long that has had a permanent split or gap in his dorsal, anal and caudal fin. Also I've had the odd 'argentea' and regani' with this type of permanent fin damage as well.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alden

Post by Alden » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond. Yeah, I doubt it will heal up. :( But they are still cool fish nevertheless. I know I will have to rehome some of them down the road, so I'll probably end up rehoming the ones with the permanent damage. But for now, I'm enjoying these cool fish.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”