Central American Cichlid Biotope.

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Central American Cichlid Biotope.

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I have a 165G tank devoted to five species of CA cichlids that are in my collection. They are Paratheraps breidohri, Vieja argentea, Vieja regani, Paraneetroplus bulleri and Astatheros robertsoni 'Rio Jutiapa'. The 'robertsoni' are tending a spawn of newly hatched fry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRSgl5qO ... ature=plcp
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Central American Cichlid Biotope.

Post by Don Hiatt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Very nice collection. I am surprised the A.robertsoni are able to maintain their spawn in the presence of so many other fish. Hopefully you will be able to grown some of them out.

Jim Cumming

Re: Central American Cichlid Biotope.

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Don Hiatt wrote:Very nice collection. I am surprised the A.robertsoni are able to maintain their spawn in the presence of so many other fish. Hopefully you will be able to grown some of them out.

Thanks for the kind words. It's very likely at some point that the 'robertsoni' fry will be picked off. I'm not planning to save any of this batch since they have spawned in the past and I have raised a fair number of young. There are two other breeding pairs of this species in the tank as well. And you're correct in observing that the tank is somewhat overcrowded at this time. I plan to move out a couple of species into another tank within the next month.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Central American Cichlids”