Paratheraps ID

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
stiff

Paratheraps ID

Post by stiff » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 am

Hi all.
I want to ask you for help in identification. I have bought 6pcs Paratheraps zonatus. But now I think it's fenestratus. One fish is being change its coloration. It's Pink fenestratus (sp. Catemaco)?
id (1)x.jpg
Others are similar to this in this picture.Do you think it is fenestratus or zonatus? Thank you for your help. :)
id (2)x.jpg

Jim Cumming

Re: Paratheraps ID

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm

To me it looks as if it is 'fenestratus', and not 'zonatus'. My younger 'fenestratus sp. Catemaco' look just like your pics. My 'zonatus' have more black speckling on their sides too. This doesn't show in your fish. Also, I haven't heard of any other Paratheraps that change their coloration other than Catemaco'. Hope this helps.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alden

Post by Alden » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm

How big are they? They look like sp. Coatzacoalcos that need time to settle in to the tank.

stiff

Post by stiff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:31 am

notho2000 wrote:To me it looks as if it is 'fenestratus', and not 'zonatus'. My younger 'fenestratus sp. Catemaco' look just like your pics. My 'zonatus' have more black speckling on their sides too. This doesn't show in your fish. Also, I haven't heard of any other Paratheraps that change their coloration other than Catemaco'. Hope this helps.
Jim
Thank you for your reply Jim. I have a very similar view...
Alden wrote:How big are they? They look like sp. Coatzacoalcos that need time to settle in to the tank.
Thanks. They are still young fish - about 4". Why do you think is this sp. Coatzacoalcos? What are the differences zonatus - Coatza - fenestratus? Thanks.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”