Paratheraps Bifasciatus

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jafh

Paratheraps Bifasciatus

Post by Jafh » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Hello,

I left my fish 2 weeks, and when I came back, I found a rare behavior in my adult bifasciatus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcamvBSS ... e=youtu.be

Since I introduced the male 6 months ago, the male were chasing the female, dominating her, and biting her. She was scared of him and without color (submission). Few minutes before I recorded that video, I saw the male chasing her as normally, but he gave her a big bite and I saw some scales floating in the water. But she faced the male and answered back.

Are they now a pair?, or they are just in the heat of a period? Share me your opinion.

I attache you some photos..
MALE
FEMALE
BOTH

Regards, Jorge.

RobinH

Re: Paratheraps Bifasciatus

Post by RobinH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Its pree spawning behavior, and the male can be very ruff on the female so i hope you have some hiding places for her!
Good luck with the spawning:)

Jafh

Post by Jafh » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:32 am

Hello,

Still nothing. My female is more agressive, but the male is not, sometimes she is more excited than him, and bites him and he scares and runs.

I used a big stone for the spawn, but nothing yet.

Any advice?

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Try adjusting your water change routines. Skip a water change, and then change a larger amount of water when you do a change, etc.

Jafh

Post by Jafh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxLGXfku ... ature=plcp

After I recorded that video, they started to swim in circles. The male turned very agressive and he left some scars in the female's body. He bite also the caudal fin of the female. She escaped.

Now they are swimming together again.

This is so hard, i thought i was about to lose my female.

:shock:

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Unfortunately, spawning cichlids isn't always so straight forward, males can become very rough. You may have to use a divider to successfully spawn the pair.

I recently had the same trouble with a V. melanura pair. They were fine together when they wasn't spawning, but when spawning, love soon turned to wife battery, a sad frustrating sight! :(

Jafh

Post by Jafh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 pm

They may need some other big fish to fight against, instead of fighting each other. But I had seen a lot of cichlids kept in pair and they spawn with no problems. Curious thing. Is this a matter of luck?

Return to “Central American Cichlids”