New guy with Deppi Pics

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
gnuisance

New guy with Deppi Pics

Post by gnuisance » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

I am relatively new to this forum. I post frequently on MFK and have been a member there for quite some time. I recently acquired some Herichthys Deppi at about 3". My group of 5 is settling in and beginning to display a bit. The dominant fish in the group right now is actually the lone female. Here is a pic of her:

Here is the female again facing off with a smaller male. Some of the other males are also visible here:

I am really enjoying this species so far. I hope that Lee will be able to chime in on this thread as I am a big fan of his videos of the Deppi on youtube.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: New guy with Deppi Pics

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Nice find, those fish were rediscovered in Mexico about 2000-2002 and are fairly rare in the hobby too.

You'll definitely enjoy them as they are a unique fish. Dan

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:13 pm

A rare find hopefully there will be babies in the future for others to acquire. Good luck on raising them out.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

RobinH

Post by RobinH » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:50 am

Nice, They are fairly common in europe now. :)

Alden

Post by Alden » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm

They are a beautiful fish. They can be rather aggressive with even hetrospecifics. Your deppi are small now, but once they get a little more size those black skirts are done for. You might want to get them out. I had a female shred up my buenos aires tetras I had been using as dithers. I also had a small male at about 2.5" who would pick fights with fish any fish even up to 3 times his size. Gorgeous fish, but definitely aggressive. But as you can see with Nuttal's fish, they can be kept in a community tank, with space and hide spots etc.

gnuisance

Post by gnuisance » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Alden wrote:They are a beautiful fish. They can be rather aggressive with even hetrospecifics. Your deppi are small now, but once they get a little more size those black skirts are done for. You might want to get them out. I had a female shred up my buenos aires tetras I had been using as dithers. I also had a small male at about 2.5" who would pick fights with fish any fish even up to 3 times his size. Gorgeous fish, but definitely aggressive. But as you can see with Nuttal's fish, they can be kept in a community tank, with space and hide spots etc.
Yes I have noticed some aggression already between the deppi and the tetras. Right now their main purpose is to reduce aggression among the group of Deppi. Do you have any pics of your old deppi?

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 am

Hi
H.deppii are great cichlids to keep and quite easy to spawn.

Smaller dither fish will most likely become a food source over time, I found this out after noticing a large group of green swords go missing. Large Poecilia sp. are probably more suited.

Large community aquariums are fine for display specimens, but adult spawning pairs can be very rough. My adult pair easily dominated an 8ft tank when fry were free swimming. They can spawn at quite a small size, so smaller sized spawning pairs would probably cause less chaos in a community?

gnuisance

Post by gnuisance » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Lee Nuttall wrote:Hi
H.deppii are great cichlids to keep and quite easy to spawn.

Smaller dither fish will most likely become a food source over time, I found this out after noticing a large group of green swords go missing. Large Poecilia sp. are probably more suited.

Large community aquariums are fine for display specimens, but adult spawning pairs can be very rough. My adult pair easily dominated an 8ft tank when fry were free swimming. They can spawn at quite a small size, so smaller sized spawning pairs would probably cause less chaos in a community?
Thanks for your reply. I will look into some larger Poecilia once the black skirts are "dispatched." My plan for this pair is to go into a 6 ft tank.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”