Paratheraps hartwegi preparing to spawn

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Paratheraps hartwegi preparing to spawn

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

My 13" male and 11" female 'hartwegi' have been paired for about 2 years and have spawned several times over that span of time. They have been quite compatible excepting the post-spawning "bash" that the female usually gets (notice the female's tail is missing a chunk - from the last spawn 3 weeks ago). But she always comes back and they "make up". Here they are preparing their usual site - a 12" diameter flower pot at one end of a 180g tank filled with other adult Paratheraps and Vieja. They basically take over one end of the tank and do their thing. I'll try to put on a follow-up video of the spawning act when that occurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE6K8Kp9 ... re=channel
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

smitty

Re: Paratheraps hartwegi preparing to spawn

Post by smitty » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Yes they are doing there thing and they look great. Another species that I would love to have.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, while I was upstairs uploading the previous video, the pair proceeded to spawn. When I went down later, there were some eggs in the pot (nowhere near the number that I know this female is capable of laying). All I saw was one highly patterned male doing guard duty in front of the pot. The female was nowhere to be seen. After some looking, I found her hiding behind another nearby pot, cowering. I guess they had a spat and 'dad' kicked 'mom' out. Looks like he'll be going it alone this time. Here's the situation now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgWLLDw ... ature=plcp
-Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jafh

Post by Jafh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I find very similar the Hartwegi to Bifasciatus just as synspilus to melanurus or coatzacoalcos to zonatus.

Great fish!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”