Maps needed to collect in Mexico.

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Michael Kwist

Maps needed to collect in Mexico.

Post by Michael Kwist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I've got plans to go to Mexico to collect fish (not only cichlids 8) ;) ) but i've got a question for the people who have collected fish in Central America.
Where can i find some good information about the maps to use and plan a trip to Mexico?
I can find on google maps some rivers ,but there are not much details on it., so where do you guys get you're information from?
My plans are to collect in South Mexico so some good maps with rivers in Mexico should be necessary ;)

Other tips for a trip to Mexico are welcome. :lol:
Greetings Michael.

Andy Young

Re: Maps needed to collect in Mexico.

Post by Andy Young » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Michael

You can obtain good maps of Mexico from Stanfords of London, they have a web site

www.stanfords.co.uk

I have heard from a frequent explorer that you can buy maps when in Mexico

Andy

Jafh

Post by Jafh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 pm

How are you planning to return the fish alive to your place?

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Hehe :lol: That's my second plan to find out, first i need to plan a trip and where/when i want to visit Mexico.
Greetings Michael.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 pm

You'll need the proper paperwork from Mexico to collect and export fish and from the US Fish and Wildlife to import them.

I'm pretty sure you can't get the paperwork from Mexico, I know someone living in Mexico that could not get it. Recently I heard of a few people entering the US having their fish confiscated. After you figure out your vacation plans you'll need to put some serious time into digging up the Mexican paperwork.

Hopefully it will work out for you.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am

Dan Woodland wrote:You'll need the proper paperwork from Mexico to collect and export fish and from the US Fish and Wildlife to import them.
As Michael does not live in the USA, I'm quite certain he will not need any US paperwork :lol:

Or, more seriously, would he need it in transfer? If so, I would choose my transfer elsewhere to prevent paperwork

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Touche'

That aside it's still holds true. Obtaining the Mexican paperwork is going to be the tougher part to obtain. And I'm sure he won't need to go through the US to get home... :D

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi all,
regarding the maps, there is a good tool out from a Mexican government agency (INEGI): http://gaia.inegi.org.mx/mdm5/viewer.html
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:54 pm

On the paperwork note: If the flight goes trough the US (even if it's just transit), you will need documentation that you obtained fish legally. Otherwise you risk the confiscation of the fish.
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:56 am

Dan and Michi, Thanks for the information 8)

I added the link to my bookmarks 8)
I think to plan a direct flight from Amsterdam to Mexico or something.. I have to find out where it's most easyest to get the fish in, without any problems.
Last time with a shipment from Don Conkel to Amsterdam there was much trouble with the paperwork, so i don't want to risk this again.
Greetings Michael.

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 pm

find out what your looking for and where they live, then get some travel books like frommers etc, that will give you an idea of the areas, hotels, transport. etc, permits I wouldn't bother even trying, just to let you know I've been on over a half dozen self made trips and always brought back a bunch of stuff, catching more then i wanted or could bring back, make it simple if doesn't have to be complicated.....

nhokawa

Post by nhokawa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Just returned from Chiapas after an 18 year lapse. I must say the roads have improved, although you always have to be on guard for unmarked topes - speed bumps -as you enter and exit towns. One invaluable thing I brought with me was a GPS, in my case a Garmin nuvi 2460, about $200 U.S. It has a base map of Mexico which included pretty small towns. The base map was slightly off once in a while, but you could find your general location by zooming out, otherwise I always knew where I was. I didn't spring for Garmin's Mexico map, since I figured it wouldn't have any additional detail in the rural areas where I was going. I also had 20 year old road maps from my last trips that provided me the detail that the GPS lacked. Be on the lookout for turnoffs to roads! What looks like a major road on a map might only be 20 feet wide and easy to miss.

One cost that you have to figure in is for the car rental. For eight days, the insurance only cost an extra $500 plus for a VW Jetta. I understand that the law only considers Mexican insurance if you get into an accident, so you need it! Gas is slightly cheaper than the U.S., at $10.00 pesos a liter for regular unleaded (Magna). The current exchange rate is $12.85 pesos per American dollar, but the hotels usually gave around $11.00 pesos. The Jetta got good mileage, but each fill up ran about $350- $400 pesos, and that was for a little more than half a tank. You never know where the next gas station is, so don't let your tank get much below half, especially in rural areas.

Be careful, Mexican drivers like to drive fast, even on the mountain roads in Chiapas and Tabasco. Just turn on your hazard lights when it is safe and let them pass, so you can take your time looking for streams.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy the scenery. I was surprised by large tracks of palm oil trees in both Chiapas and Tabasco, and selfishly hope that the pace of development slows in this beautiful area.

Nathan
Gardena, California

Marco Arroyo

Post by Marco Arroyo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 pm

theres a very popular book in Mexico, name Guia Roji, it have all the roads and maps, of course if you can get some maps by tom tom, will be great, good luck

Return to “Central American Cichlids”