Cryptoheros cutteri

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Cryptoheros cutteri

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 pm

These cichlids have numerous color patterns. They are very interesting in this respect.

Female in pre-breeding (egg laying) coloration:

Male in non-breeding coloration:

More to come...

Dan

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 am

Thanks for sharing.

I got a group at about 1" TL 2.5 months ago and they're taking forever to put on any size. Do yours grow slowly too?

When the blue spots started appearing on the fins it almost looked like they were infested with ich.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:55 am

Vincent wrote:and they're taking forever to put on any size
In January I sold 40 at 4 cm size. I did not have the feel8ing they were growing slowly. In fact they were growing much faster than I wanted (because of overcrowding)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:55 am

No, no growth rate issues. I kept them at 72 - 76 degrees, fresh water twice daily, and plenty of food.

This F1 group from my wild caught group was an experiment in in-direct feeding. The parents were so prolific I had too many fish so I tried a test. These were fry left in the tank where I fed another fish, Tomacichla asfraci, as the primary fish. These were basically the scavengers; they would get to eat what ever the larger fish didn’t.

Dan

cichlid fan Lee

Post by cichlid fan Lee » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:16 pm

They look good dan :wink:
Cichlid's are my life and life is good

seveland

Post by seveland » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:57 pm

are there different races of cutteri ? is cutteri technically a different race of spilurus? mine seem to have more of a yellowish base color and the males have some red in the fins. I wonder if they originate from different locations :?

seveland

Post by seveland » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:00 pm

here's an older pic of them:

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Seveland,

From that picture I would say you have both cutteri and spilurus or they are a group of crosses. In all the rivers were I saw cutteri none of them had yellow/gold color or a red tail as your picture shows. Alternatively, in all the rivers I saw spilurus they were not black and white with the blue stripe.

Dan

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback about growth rates. The person I got them from said he hadn't been feeding the fry much. So perhaps mine are stunted :cry:, although any fry I get from them should hopefully be ok.

Joe Middleton
CichlidRoom Expert

Cutteri Status?

Post by Joe Middleton » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:16 am

I'm curious about the fish that the hobby is calling "cutteri." Since cutteri was lumped into synonymy with spilurus, is the original cutteri a spilurum type and the narrow lined fish from Honduras something truly new?

Any takers here?
Joe Middleton

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:54 am

Purekly from an aquarists point of view, we had the highly build species, to me that is the real spilurum, and the longer. larger, not so high build fish, which does come in different colors, and they are, to me, cutteri.

To me, the photo shows 2 kinds of cutteri, no spilurum

However, I'm not a scientist, I only keep fishes

Bas

seveland

Post by seveland » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:17 am

man, I hope I don't have mixed fish. I'm on my third or fourth generation of those and I've sold andd gave away fry in the past so I really hope there's another explanation for them looking different. They're definately not different types, all four fish in my pic were from the same batch, The two with the yellow base and red fins are males and the two that look more like Dan's cutteri are the females. I agree about the spilurus having higher body type. here's my pair of those:

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:58 am

seveland wrote:here's an older pic of them:

mine look like yours and i got them from Nourissat. he said to my friend they are sp. Yojoa!

Davel

Post by Davel » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:56 am

Mine look like that too. The breeding pair lose the yellow/red/blue when breeding. I think you have one type.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:08 am

There's the wrinkle. All the cutteri I've seen have been from the eastern portions of Honduras. By the time we arrived at Lago Yojoa in 2004 we could not find any cutteri as a matter of fact we couldn’t find many cichlids at all.

There is a huge Tilapia farm in the middle of the lake and black bass were introduced as food fish. Those two fish have just about wiped out the cichlids in Lago Yojoa! I don’t have the list handy, I’ll post it later.

Dan

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:16 am

I kept some spilurus from Yojoa too... wonderful fish! Mine looked a little different: The bar width was more equal in mine.

Cheers, m

Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 pm

Woody,

There are pictuers of the normal Cryptoheros spilurus in the Cichlid Room Companion catalogue (Same as Jeff's):

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=203

Beautiful picture by Carol Kalinowski.

I keep both forms, Incidentally, my C. spilurus "Yojoa" also were given to me by Jean Claude Nourissat back in 1999.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

seveland

Post by seveland » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Carol's fish is either brother or son to mine, I can't remember which batch of fry her fish came from. She is really good with a camera.

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:22 am

I have spilurum from the Rio Teste and Rio Blanco and Cutteri from the Rio Belaire, Jutiapa and Monga, all look a little different from each other with the most variation in the two forms of spilurum. The Cutteri from the Belaire and Jutiapa are most likely the same gene pool as they are from the same river system, the ones from the Rio Monga are not as blue and the fins have a redder tint. The two forms of spilurum are very different even though they were collected about 10 miles apart, but from different river systems. The Rio Blanco is very gold, even in small fry and the Rio Teste has the most amount of black I've ever seen in spilurum, the females color up like breeding female bartoni when they spawn! Leaving tomorrow for Honduras, I'd like to get more forms from some new areas. Ken
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:34 am

I'd like to see some pictures, but most likely, time will be too short.

Anyway. all the luchk in Honduras (wish I could come along, I know you offered, but spare time is scarce)

Bas

Return to “Central American Cichlids”