Octofasciata with intense red

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Octofasciata with intense red

Post by Ctrl_Alt_Dlt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Can someone share with me some information about Rocio octofasciata, especially the ones with more red?

The chain store Petsmart has been carrying Rocio octofasciata with more red lately. Curious to see more pictures and know more about this type. It could be just line bred to exhibit more red as well. I could not take a picture of what I saw earlier today at my local petsmart, but I was really shocked to see such red coloration on 1.5inch fry. There were 6 Rocio octofasciata in one tank and 4 of them had the strong red coloration around the head/chest area. They are also lighter in color exhibiting grey/white. The head and chest also shows larger pearls that showed good blue and greens. The other 2 looked like regular Rocio octofasciata in coloration.

I'd like to see more wild caught Rocio octofasciata pictures and possibly some with the intense red.

Thanks.

Michael Kwist

Re: Octofasciata with intense red

Post by Michael Kwist » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Hello,

For your question about the red form of Rocio octofascatius i can answer that i have kept some from the río sarstoon,i got these from Don Conkel who has collected these in the rio sarstoon in Guatemala.
They where on his list labeled as red belly octofasciatus. they devolop a nice red color. but when feeding with food like hikari gold or others will give more intense red colors on them.
In Germany did i saw also a population with a nice red/pink color.
I will try to get some pictures online when i have time 8)

Edit: i found in my old photoalbum some pictures of Rocio ocotal from the laguna ocotal.
These got also a red shine 8)
Greetings Michael.

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Re: Octofasciata with intense red

Post by Ctrl_Alt_Dlt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks Michael! Thats a great looking pair! The red is quite nice on that male. Thanks for responding.

How did your pair look like when they were younger? Do you remember when the dark coloration came in?

Return to “Central American Cichlids”