amatitlania id?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
fishop

amatitlania id?

Post by fishop » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:44 am

can anyone help me i.d. these little ca cichlids?

i think they're amatitlania.. supposedly f1 from adults originally collected by barry mckee.. i have no location info.. they're nice, red/brown tail, and orange dorsal and anal fins.. a little blue in the throat (but not nearly as much as my honduran red points)..

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: amatitlania id?

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

Potentially beautifull species but I think it's a Cryptoheros sp :lol:

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm not convinced that the different geographical forms of Convicts really merit specific status. Be that as it may, but if the classification into several species is applied, I would say they are A. nigrofasciata in the strict sense.

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Rico Morgenstern wrote:I would say they are A. nigrofasciata in the strict sense.
I presume you mean in the broad sense;) Without collection information (or detailed phenotypic measurements) you won't be able to get a good ID. Considering the coloration of the male though, I feel somewhat comfortable in guessing that this is a population from northeastern Honduras (A. cf. siquia based on my own data, the A. nigrofasciata from the Pacific drainages look different). But I'd be also very happy to be proven wrong in my gut feeling. The species status of fish from that region is anything but clear.

Just for a comparison:

What I think is A. nigrofasciatus s.s.:

What I treat as A. cf. siquia (HRP region):

Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

fishop

Post by fishop » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:47 pm

thx for the replies..

i have recently made contact with barry mckee and he says that these were originally collected just north of tortuguero, costa rica in "a 'puddle' that was evaporating in the dry season"

he refers to them as amatitlania siquia "red" because of the very red tail.. collected in 2003..

michi, your picture of the cf siquia looks similar to the fish in question.. here's a pic of the third male i have.. similar spotting in the fins and colour in the upper half of the body..

i'm really not up to date with the classification debate.. would like to hear ur opinions now that i have found location information..

thx,
brian

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Post by Ctrl_Alt_Dlt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:14 pm

They look great!

Here in MN, the LFS has a large breeding pair that look similiar in color to your pair, but size is larger and bulkier. Has the orange/brown tone to it as well. Almost copper like.
\

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 am

michi tobler wrote:I presume you mean in the broad sense;) Without collection information (or detailed phenotypic measurements) you won't be able to get a good ID.
No Michi, I actually meant "in the strict sense". I find they fit better to A. nigrofasciata with regard to body depth (as far as determinable from a photo) and color pattern, e.g. the caudal spot seemed not to be extended onto caudal peduncle. However, now that we know the place of their origin, it is clear that I was wrong. The question is, what are species worth which are apparently identifiable only by locality data.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:12 am

If they're from Costa Rica would they be A. siquia?

Matt

Return to “Central American Cichlids”