Lago de Izabal?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
aclockworkorange

Lago de Izabal?

Post by aclockworkorange » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:54 am

This is my first post here. :D

I am looking to design a biotope around exCichlasoma bocourti collected from Lago de Izabal in Guatemala. After MANY Internet searches, the only list of species I found is from an article here on CRC by Rusty Wessel.

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=103

Before dark set in we had to snorkel the shores of Lake Izabal. We were able to view many cichlids, but no luck finding the golden mojarra. Seining and cast-netting provided a few specimens of Thorichthys aureus, Vieja maculicauda, Archocentrus spilurus, 'Cichlasoma' salvini, Amphilophus robertsoni, and Parachro-mis managuense...
I'm wondering, is this a complete list of all native cichlids found in the lake? Is there anywhere I can find detailed information or photos of the lake itself?

Thanks.

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Lago de Izabal?

Post by michi tobler » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:33 pm

About 10 years ago, there was an article in the Datz (www.Datz.de) by Xafer Hofer. The magazine has an online database, and you should be able to find the article there.... But it's in German....
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

aclockworkorange

Post by aclockworkorange » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:23 pm

I found this:
http://www.datz.de/PDF-Archiv/Besuch-in ... A5NTc.html

But it seems you need a subscription? And I can't seem to translate the actual registration page to subscribe. Does it cost money? If I did register, would I even be able to translate it with an online program to English since it's a PDF?

RD.

Post by RD. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:13 pm

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:44 pm

I was there a few years back in El Estor, I remember catching a bunch of maculicauda too in addition to salvini and spilurus....mainly sand and a few piles of rock around...

Return to “Central American Cichlids”