A. rostratus aggression

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
CA cichlid dude

A. rostratus aggression

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:59 pm

A lot of people say these are one of the most peaceful CA cichlids, but not mine. Mine is 3'' and very aggressive towards my p. synspilum which is a little larger. These two are in a 150g long (6' tank). Will these two be ok in the long term?

dogofwar

Re: A. rostratus aggression

Post by dogofwar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Mine are really mellow...with each other and other fish.

Matt

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 am

When I got mine, the seller warned me - he once ended up with 7 individuals in 7 tanks

I now have a grouw of 7 fishes, in a 4 meter tank, without problems. I do think they want their privacy, but I can not say they are agressive. I hardly see any chasing, and if they do chase one another, it is, perhaps, for half a meter

Their tank further contains H nicaraguensae, H nematopus and P loissellei. The loissellei male is, obviously, the boss. the rest don't care

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 am

I think they should not be housed alone or as single ones. I had aggression in a group only when they were alone. I kept them with many species, coeruelus, rhytisma, hrp, splendida, affinis and some other. only never with too much aggressive species. at this moment I keep them in 4 different tanks and all groups at different sizes and must say one of the easiest species I ever kept.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 am

5 of mines were good until reached sexual maturity.
Now I have 2 pair and one single female. The pairs often flair and tail beating each other, but nothing crazy, they rarely engage in real fighting. Most of the time they swim together, all 5 of them, unless one of the pair protecting the eggs or fry.
They not aggressive towards non cichlid dither fish, but were aggressive when kept with Thorichtys Helleri, even when were young.
Interesting thing to mention:
My both male similar sized, around 7". When lights is off one guy in charge, when lights is on, another. They love the same corner and each of the pair hang there and protecting in different time of the day. Weird :o ..
Alex

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 pm

I found couple pictures,it is a rare occasion with my Rostratus crew.. As I said before, winner for the favorite corner depending on the lighting condition. No visible damage was done, they don't have much "tools" to hurt each other anyway..
Alex
Attachments
101_0161 rr.jpg
101_0163 rr.jpg

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Do you think things wil change when the p. melanurus gets bigger the the rostrutus? Right now it is just chasing and nothing more.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”