Guapotes from Panama.

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Joe Middleton
CichlidRoom Expert

From Fishbase, from IFGA.

Post by Joe Middleton » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Fishbase.org had a very interesting link to a picture of the blue form of Caquetaia umbrifera that I thought I would share here:

Joe Middleton

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:54 am

I saw that picture too. I wonder where that picture was taken. I assume it was Colombia. I bet it put up a fight.

Joe Middleton
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Joe Middleton » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 pm

Nandus wrote:I saw that picture too. I wonder where that picture was taken. I assume it was Colombia. I bet it put up a fight.
Colombia I think is where it was taken. I wish I had been there to see them land that creature, what a beauty!
Joe Middleton

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:23 am

One more thing. Look how shallow the water is and the shape of the fish. That umbriferum is more elongated than the fish I have seen close to that size in captivity. That is definitely a riverine form of a cichlid if I have ever seen one.

Joe Middleton
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Joe Middleton » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:34 am

Nandus wrote:One more thing. Look how shallow the water is and the shape of the fish. That umbriferum is more elongated than the fish I have seen close to that size in captivity. That is definitely a riverine form of a cichlid if I have ever seen one.
Yes, but since there are so few natural lakes in their habitat most cichlids there are quite riverine. For instance, all nearly all the lakes in Panama are manmade. The sole exceptions are the lagunas that may be found very close to coast, and they are brackish in their nature.

All cichlids in our aquariums, on the other hand, are quite lacustrine. :)
Joe Middleton

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Guapotes from Panama.

Post by Don Hiatt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello all,
I recently returned to keeping Cichlids again. So my first post back, im dredging up this old post. I recently was able to get hands on two small "F1 black umbiferums" from a dealer in NJ.
The fish look exactly like the "Cichlasoma Sp. Sambu" found in Ad Konings book Ciichlids of Central America( ISBN 13: 9780866227001). Having kept the gold and green "regular" umbiferum in the past, these fish do appear to be distinct in body shape and behavior. Hopefully, there will be more work done with the Kronoheros / Caqetuagroup group by researchers.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”