Stuart Grant

To honour those people who have been highly respected and known in ichthyological and hobbyist circles.
Juan Artigas
Administrator

Stuart Grant

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 am

I just got this message from Ad Konings:
I was just called from Malawi. Stuart Grant died early Thursday morning (Today) of an heart attack. He was in a meeting in Liwonde on Wednesday and when he returned home he didn't feel well. Later that night he had an attack. I don't know when the funeral will be but it will be in Malawi
I am very sorry and wish to express my condolences to Stuart´s family and the people who loved him.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Stuart Grant

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

Wow.... he did a lot for the hobby with the Malawian cichlids. He will be missed.

Condolences to his family and friends. :(

Esben

Post by Esben » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:44 am

http://www.wildcichlids.com - One step closer to cichlid wildlife

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 pm

What a terrible loss. My condolences to Esther and their children.

I remember having some very memorable times visiting Stuart many years ago, and being amazed and grateful for his generous hospitality, enabling me to travel around the lake diving and photographing the cichlids. Upon returning from various expeditions, I would always look forward to a hearty evening meal with great conversation and laughs. Stuart was the ultimate host. I loved his British accent and his unique words and phrases, such as "gispectric" and "in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture" and "They've gone benthic on us!" He is already missed greatly.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Post by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:09 pm

such a pity, I really would have liked the chance to meet him.
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association

Klaus Steinhaus

Post by Klaus Steinhaus » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Stuart Grant has been one of my heroes for almost 30 years and I was lucky to be able to spent some time with him during his last visit to Canada. Personally I am deeply saddened by this loss and believe that not only the cichlid community but also our beloved hobby has lost one of it's great ones. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and everybody else close to him.

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I am deeply sadden by this news, and I send my deepest sympathy to Esther and her family. This is a huge loss to the aquarium community.

I am so glad that I went Malawi, and so glad that I had the opportunity to spend that time with him. He was quite the character, and he could tell the best stories, and I so enjoyed the way he talked and the words he used. Mark is so correct about his use of the language, if I could only be so clever! In America we are just so casual all the time, and the english are so proper, I must say that I enjoyed having the formal dining and then the adjoining discussion about everything under the sun. It is truly a sad day, he will be greatly missed.

We must celebrate his life... where would we be without his contributions in our pursuit of Malawi Cichlids.

May he rest in peace...
Love & Prayers,

Pam & Gary Chin
Last edited by Pam Chin on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

why-spyder

Post by why-spyder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Such a large part of the Malawi Cichlid hobby. He will be missed. I wish I had gotten to meet him.

Esben

Post by Esben » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:16 am

I was having dinner with Stuart at Interzoo 2004 and twice at Carsten Gissels place. If you can talk about the warm heart of Africa. It will be Stuarts passion for the lake Malawi.

Rest In Peace
http://www.wildcichlids.com - One step closer to cichlid wildlife

gunfish

Post by gunfish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 am

:( My condolenes to his family and to all that new him. Rest in peace

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Ad Konings attended the funeral, he told me it was very emotive with over 1,500 mourners. Rest in peace.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Sébastien Bochenko

Post by Sébastien Bochenko » Mon May 19, 2008 6:41 am

Does anybody know if there is a homage to Stuart in the last english edition of the book "Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat" ?

Larry Johnson

Post by Larry Johnson » Fri May 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Ok,its been some time now and as some of you know that Joe Alary,Ad and I put a DVD together in Stuart's memory.
This was shown at Cleveland Extravaganza (2007).It was well received by all who watched it.
I was stopped afterwards,in the hallways of the Motel by many people who had watched the video and was thanked by them,and they felt they had to forward their condolences to me which I accepted and thanked them for.
To me it was a "tear jerker",as even though I had seen this video a few times and helped/advised and did the narration on its production,,,I still sat there all glossy eyed.

To further help you all,here,who maybe cannot understand how well Stuart M Grant was loved in his own country,and will be missed,I have finally decided to post 2 shots of the funeral procession of Stuart to his final resting place.
I had mentioned to some members here that 'you have not been to a funeral,until you have been to an African one',I' will let the pics say the rest.
Looking down Stuart's "Driveway",the end of the line is still some 300m to the left,and out
towards the jetty,where the service was held.

Dust clouds in the evening sun form,as the massive crowd (1500 people) proceeds to the gravesite,which
overlooks the lake.

Thanks,Larry

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Sébastien Bochenko wrote:Does anybody know if there is a homage to Stuart in the last english edition of the book "Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat" ?
Ad did dedicate the 4th edition to Stuart. I got to see where he is buried and the beautiful memorial that is wife Esther has built for him on my recent trip to Malawi. He is still sorely missed, however I was very pleased to see that the compound looks great and they are successfully carrying on the business of exporting Malawi fish around the world. Esther is definitely carrying on his legacy.
Attachments
You can go inside and sit with him or talk with him as I did.  I was very happy to see such a wonderful memorial built in his memory.
You can go inside and sit with him or talk with him as I did. I was very happy to see such a wonderful memorial built in his memory.
There is a granite memorial on the outside as well as in side the shrine
There is a granite memorial on the outside as well as in side the shrine
He has a beautiful view of the lake!
He has a beautiful view of the lake!
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

Ganapoes

Post by Ganapoes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:58 am

such a pity, I really would have liked the chance to meet him.

280A

Post by 280A » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:13 am

At the bottom of my wardrobe I just found this legendary shirt.
It was the work clothing of Stuart Grant fish house back in the day (in the 1980s)

Return to “In Memoriam”