Stanley Howard Weitzman 1927-2017

To honour those people who have been highly respected and known in ichthyological and hobbyist circles.
Lisachromis
Administrator

Stanley Howard Weitzman 1927-2017

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 am

Stanley Howard Weitzman (born 16 March 1927), U.S. Ichthyologist. Died Feb 16, 2017

Research Scientist Emeritus at U.S. National Museum of Natural History

For more information about his life:

http://www.academia.edu/24430801/Zug_an ... man_Retire

https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stanley_H._Weitzman

Education

Ph.D. Stanford University, 1960
M.A. University of California, Berkeley, 1953
B.A. University of California, Berkeley, 1951
Research Interests

The following research topics are my primary interests and published products: Systematics, comparative gross anatomy (osteology, etc.) of the entire specimens, plus the tissue histology of gonads and ultrastructure of reproductive cells, reproductive modes, and secondary reproductive organ (for example male courtship pheromone organs) and biogeography of inseminating and non-inseminating Neotropical fishes of the order Characiformes. This data is also used for proposing and publishing hypotheses of evolutionary relationships among the members of especially the freshwater fish family Characidae. This research has essentially answered questions about various aspects of their diverse reproductive modes, provided new insights about their phylogenetic relationships and initiated a beginning base for some biogeographical studies of South American freshwater fishes.
Recent Publications
Menezes, Naercio A., Weitzman, Stanley H. and Teixeira, T. F. 2016. Redescription of Hysteronotus megalostomus (Characiformes: Characidae: Stevardiinae), a poorly known characid from tributaries of the Rio São Fancisco, Brazil with comments on the conservation of the species. Journal of fish biology, 89(1): 495-509.
stanleyweitzman.jpg
stanleyweitzman.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 847 times

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Stanley Howard Weitzman 1927-2017

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:59 am

For the few opportunities I had to talk and visit with Stan, I considered him and Marilyn to be good friends, but I think he had that effect on everyone he met. This was one of the greats of ichthyology, though he did not act like it. For someone of his accomplishments, he was approachable and friendly, and always willing to help. The only person I ever met who was nearly as knowledgeable was his wife, Marilyn. My heart goes out to her at this time.

This was my hero, role model, and a friend. I will miss him terribly.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Return to “In Memoriam”