Bob "Salty" Nuckols 1961 - 2013

To honour those people who have been highly respected and known in ichthyological and hobbyist circles.
Greg Steeves
CichlidRoom Expert

Bob "Salty" Nuckols 1961 - 2013

Post by Greg Steeves » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:35 pm

The fish world lost a character August 11th, 2013. My friend Bob “Salty” Nuckols passed away at his home. Bob is survived by wife Stacy, and daughters, Ellen and Emily. Although he left way too soon, during his time with us, he left his mark! He was a personality like no other!

I first met Bob in the Fishroom days. Like many of the people that participated in Fishroom, we became instant friends; a friendship that continued right up to his passing. Whenever I think of Salty, I will think of his many innovations which earned him the nickname of “MacGyver of the fish world”. He referred to his fishroom as the manroom. Although he dabbled in almost everything aquatic, I think it is safe to say that his true love of fish centered on frontosa. He used to say that he had more fronts in his sumps than in his tanks and knowing him, he probably did.

I spent many late hours listening to his words of wisdom. He shared with me everything from how the aquarium hobby needed more chicks, to the pros and cons of getting involved in an internet argument. I still have a page of his quotes that I saved over the years, framed on my fishroom wall.

It might have been his character or maybe his dumb luck, but the strangest things happened whenever he was around. As he once said “there’s nothing like a fat naked man waiting outside your hotel room door to say – Welcome to the Cichlid Classic!”….long story!

Many of his articles don the pages of the Lateral Line. A quick read is all you need to know the man’s personality. What you saw was what you got. You could be sure of two things with him – great stories and constant laughter.

My thoughts go out to his family. For me, I will miss Bob badly but always have good memories and a smile when I think about him.

Farewell my friend.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Bob "Salty" Nuckols 1961 - 2013

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Oh wow. I knew he was ill but did not realize that he was gone already. Condolences to Salty's family.

He really was a character. I met him only online in Fishroom, but he will be missed.

Return to “In Memoriam”