The OCA eXXtravaganza: November 20-23, 2014

Post your upcoming cichlid or fish event here.
LewC

The OCA eXXtravaganza: November 20-23, 2014

Post by LewC » Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 am

This will be our 20th Extravanza, and, in celebration, there will add some special features for this year's landmark show:

Expanded Format: Registration and the show room will open Thursday evening, from 7:00-9:00 PM, and starting at 9:00 AM on Friday.

Greater Cleveland Aquarium: We are offering a side-trip to the Greater Cleveland Aquarium. The $35 cost includes bus fare, admission, and behind the scenes tour. Our tentative plan is to meet in the lobby at 10:00 AM on Friday. Tickets are available in the registration store (for those who register for the event), and will be available at the registration desk, if there is any room left on the bus by then.

ACA Convention Raffle: We will raffle off a trip to the 2015 ACA convention in Massachusetts! Included in the package are a 4-night hotel stay, event registration, banquet tickets, side-trips, event polo shirts, and OCA shirts to proudly wear at the convention, all for 2 people. (Some details of the event won't be finalized until after this year's ACA Convention.) Tickets are $10, and are available in the Extravaganza registration store. They will also be available at the registration desk Extravaganza weekend. Proceeds go to the Jim Smith Fund, from which we give grants that aid in cichlid research, education and conservation. Here's a link to the JSF page on our website: http://www.ohiocichlid.com/JimSmithFund.html

Presentations: We will present 7 talks instead of the usual 5, and 5 guest speakers instead of the usual 4. There will be 4 talks on Friday, beginning at 4:00 PM, and 3 talks on Saturday, beginning at 9:00 AM. Specific times and titles will be announced when everything is figured out.

Speakers and Tentative Topics:
Ad Konings: New look at the Congo shore of Lake Tanganyika. (Before Ad's recent expedition, the last person to collect there scientifically was Pierre Brichard.)
Melanie Stiassny: Congo River (This talk has been highly recommended by those who've heard it.)
Felipe Cantera: Collecting expeditions in Uruguay and the cichlids found there.
Barbie Fiorentino: Loricariid breeding and nutrition.
Wayne Leibel: New research on Acaras. (Wayne rarely gives presentations, so here's your chance to hear this legendary cichlid expert.)

Here's a link to the Registration Store:
http://www.ohiocichlid.com/shop/

Not all details for the 20th Extravaganza are finalized, but if you have any questions, post here or email me at lewcarbone@gmail.com .

Lew Carbone
OCA Program Chair

zenins

Re: The OCA eXXtravaganza: November 20-23, 2014

Post by zenins » Fri May 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Looking forward to this year ... sounds awesome and may top any of the previous extravaganzas I have attended in the past ;)

Four out of 5 speakers are new to me ... but Ad always has great photos and videos :)

JHG

Post by JHG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Curious if there will room sales again this year? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 pm

JHG wrote:Curious if there will room sales again this year? Thanks.

I'm sure there will be, you just can't stop people from bringing fish and supplies with them. :D
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

JHG

Post by JHG » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:30 pm

:)

Return to “Upcoming Events”