Etroplus surantensis

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
emartin

Etroplus surantensis

Post by emartin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 pm

I'd like general info on these.

Firstly, would they get a long fine in a 75gallon (48"x18"x20" or 122cm x 46cm x 51cm), that is get along enough for breeding?

What do they demand in water chemistry? I believe I remember reading that they like alkaline brackish water. I do have Seachem malawi buffer that brings my tap pH of about 6 to 8.6....would that be fine?

To similate brackish conditions, should I use Instant Ocean mix or just Evaporated Sea Salt? And how much? Would I need to measure it with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Lastly, what stocking levels would you recommend? Any tank mates? And are they sensitive to water quality (ie, will they die if I am a week behind in a water change type thing, or are they sensitive to meds?)

Oh and what's their full size? I can't seem to find any info online about their maximum size.

~Ed

Gordon C. Snelling

Re: Etroplus surantensis

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 am

It has been many years since I have kept this species, something like 30 I think. From my memory thought they were quite hardy, very tolerant of the water conditions. So missing a water change will not hurt them. I had them in a rather crowded tank mixed with assorted africans. Although looking back now I would certainly give them a species only tank. Mine never got to full size before I had to send them to live someplace else though for their own well being. They did outgrow the tank I had them in

emartin

Post by emartin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 am

Gordon C. Snelling wrote:It has been many years since I have kept this species, something like 30 I think. From my memory thought they were quite hardy, very tolerant of the water conditions. So missing a water change will not hurt them. I had them in a rather crowded tank mixed with assorted africans. Although looking back now I would certainly give them a species only tank. Mine never got to full size before I had to send them to live someplace else though for their own well being. They did outgrow the tank I had them in
Thanks for the info. That's good to know that they seem hardy, because I was worried that I may have to give them R.O. water and then buffer it up and add some instant ocean salt instead of just adding salt to my tap water... And that they aren't sensitive to water quality as well if I miss a weekly water change... (I think the longest I've gone without doing water changes in my tanks has been 2 weeks, and I usually cut back on feeding if I miss the water change and then do a major one when I finally get around to it).

Anyway thanks for the information. Do you think they could be kept in a 75g though...? The tank is 48"x18"x20", or 122cm x 46cm x 51cm.

~Ed

viejo66

Post by viejo66 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 pm

To stimulate spawning, you will need brackish water.. Around 1/8 to 1/4 cup of salt per gallon should do it. Moderate changes in density would probably help 'turn them on'.. Kosher or rock salt would be fine, fish obtain their trace elements from their diet :wink: ....
Max. size is given as 16" but the largest I remember seeing in captivity has been been around half that. They like it warm (mid 80's) & I would probably use some salt tolerant dither/target fish. Some of the larger rainbowfish would be good.

Return to “Asian Cichlids”