Etroplus canarensis fry: 'Togetherness' to a New Level

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Jim Cumming

Etroplus canarensis fry: 'Togetherness' to a New Level

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:23 pm

When I say my canaresis fry are having a ball, there is a double meaning to it. In addition to them behaving like they're having lots of fun schooling about, they also literally spend most of their time in a very compact, ball-shaped cloud. Etroplus canarensis / Canara Pearlspot is a schooling fish, there's no doubt about it. Ever since I obtained ten- 1" fry to grow out late last summer, I've noticed one main thing about them ... they love to be close to one another. In pretty much every post I've made with pictures included, there are always a bunch in the frame. Not because they love being photographed, I'm sure, but because they are a nervous, high strung fish that seem to need support and must receive security from close proximity to their siblings. The strength in numbers argument. Well from my observations, it seems to start really early in life ... but to the extreme. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, that I have never seen a cloud of fry that form a tighter school. The only time they spread out is when they're feeding. But after that, it's 'back to the ball'. Here's a brief video of what I'm referring to.
http://youtu.be/Fzuvt6qFPTc
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Re: Etroplus canarensis fry: 'Togetherness' to a New Level

Post by Piotr Koba » Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 pm

I've read they form close schools, but never thought that to such an extent. They remind my of a batch of little spiders I've seen today - same colours and similarly tightly packed group :)
Cheers
Piotr

DRE

Post by DRE » Thu May 08, 2014 10:31 am

Did you do something special to get them to spawn or are they "easy"?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu May 08, 2014 2:56 pm

DRE wrote:Did you do something special to get them to spawn or are they "easy"?
I'm not sure if they're easy or not. Some sources claim they're difficult, if not impossible but not in my experience. It may be that not many people have had experience with them to really know. Mine certainly seem to be willing to spawn. They've spawned at least six times that I know of in the last three weeks ... different pairs of course, but I know one pair has spawned four times. A couple of pairs have taken up under some driftwood so I can't really say about them. The fry seem to be easy enough to raise ... much like Etroplus maculatus which I've done a lot with. I guess I'm doing something right ... good feeding and water changing seems to be enough. They are easily stressed so I've taken care to provided lots of territories and 'nooks and crannies'.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

DRE

Post by DRE » Thu May 08, 2014 2:57 pm

I guess the territories are important if they easily get stressed.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu May 08, 2014 5:56 pm

DRE wrote:I guess the territories are important if they easily get stressed.
For a small fish, they can make do with a small territory if it is secure. They are pretty effective at keeping their limited area under their control. They might do even better if the area available were larger. I don't think that would be the case if they were housed with other cichlids that were "pushier". A light population of dithers is probably beneficial to them, such as small barbs, danios or Garra. I don't have dithers, just a couple of small T. wesseli that I couldn't remove. I noticed that a batch of eggs laid yesterday was half gone this morning, and now, none are left. Could be the wesseli, or parents getting nervous and eating them. They're not like the Madagascan damba, who will leave their eggs unprotected for the least of reasons. The canarensis are very attentive but get easily flustered.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Asian Cichlids”