Etroplus canarensis / Canara Pearlspot Have Spawned

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Jim Cumming

Etroplus canarensis / Canara Pearlspot Have Spawned

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am

For several days now, it's looked as if a pair of Canara Pearlspot cichlids were getting ready to spawn. They had singled out one particular rock as a potential site. Knowing that Orange Chromides, if given a choice, would always choose the inside of a flower pot laid on its side, I thought I would try it with these... which I did last evening. At first they steered clear, almost as if they were scared of it. This evening, I went down to my fish room and noticed that the pair had placed a cluster of eggs in it. I removed the pot with eggs tonight, just before I posted this video.

http://youtu.be/SPb8cgRgcKM
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Etroplus canarensis / Canara Pearlspot Have Spawned

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:31 pm

The eggs are just beginning to hatch. Out of the estimated spawn of ~150-200, only about 20 have fungused. It's into the fourth day and the water temperature is ~80F. So it's looking good.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Here are the newly hatched fry.

http://youtu.be/m_OGTuXEDZw
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Etroplus canarensis Fry Beginning to Free Swim

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:24 pm

On Thursday, April 10th, 2014, a pair of my 'canarensis' spawned. I pulled the eggs to hatch them artificially and they began to hatch about 60 hours later, on Sunday, April 13th. They have been absorbing their yolk sacs for the last week, all the while wiggling away and scurrying around the bottom. It's now one week later, Sunday April 20th, and they are just now beginning to free swim. I'll wait until tomorrow morning before I give them their first feeding of newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Here they are, starting to school and "swim like a fish".
http://youtu.be/FA8VRhSI7Ak
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Etroplus canarensis Fry with Full Bellies

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

The fry have just finished their first meal of newly hatched baby brine shrimp. They've settled down and are now calmly schooling.
http://youtu.be/wxPl9bEAw1M
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Etroplus canarensis Pair's Second Spawn in Ten Days

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:39 pm

This pair of Canara Pearlspots have done it again ten days later. Their first spawn, shown in the previous posting have become free swimming. Here the female is nervously tending to the new clutch of eggs while the male is out of the picture doing peripheral guard duty. There are eight other canarensis in the tank , two other pairs of which have also spawned. I didn't save these and they were eventually eaten. There are also two 1 1/2" T. wesseli in there plus a 2" female H. bartoni.
http://youtu.be/ttS0XmJgYhc
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 am

The eggs, 24 hours post spawning.
caneggs.jpg
caneggs2.jpg
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm

The fry as of Thursday, April 24 and Friday, April 25. Today, they're strangely clustered on top of a small power head that is not running. Why there? I know they love to school but they're taking 'togetherness' to a whole new level ... and at the same time making me a bit nervous :-?
can1.jpg
babyds.jpg
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Here are the fry as of yesterday. They are feeding well on newly hatched BBS, frozen BBS and microworms. They are the "schooling-est" fry I have ever seen.
canarensis fry.jpg
- Albert Einstein

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Sat May 03, 2014 1:05 am

Great ! Thanks for sharing, you have a lot of very nice species and you always breed them.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 am

Thank you Florent.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Asian Cichlids”