If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Jim Cumming

If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

If "cute" counts for anything in the world of fish keeping (and in my case cichlids) then I think I have found the cutest of them all. I recently obtained an extremely rare little Indian cichlid from an acquaintance in San Antonio, Texas. He had successfully spawned them (one of only a handful of people ) and I obtained ten of these 8 month old juveniles. Their name is Etroplus canarensis, or commonly the Canara Pearlspot cichlid. It was thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 1992 and in the last couple of years, small numbers of the fish have made their way into the hobby. Etroplus is a small genus (3 species) of cichlids native to southern India and Sri Lanka, where they are the only native cichlids. My main interest in them is that the Etroplus genus is closely related to the Paretroplus from Madagascar. These two lineages are believed to have separated during the Mesozoic era (the age of reptiles), as Madagascar and the Indian Plate had separated by the end of the Cretaceous period. I am pretty heavily into Madagascan cichlids, presently maintaining 8 species. I also have Etroplus maculatus (Orange Chromide) on the go. They are some of the most ancient cichlid lineages on earth and have undergone little, if any change over the millions of years that they have existed. I just took the one picture once they settled into their 25G species tank. Here it is. In real life they school tightly and are like a little swarm of bees. I'll take a video soon.
Attachments
MVI_0797.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

ciclasoman

Re: If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Post by ciclasoman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi Jim
I know of no other cichlid as animated and cute as this species, I'm glad you got them in good health.
Saludos

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks Jose, I really appreciate you coming through for me on these fish and the 'dambabe'.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 pm

These pictures suggest a new common name for this uncommon cichlid The Roman Numeral cichlid - kind of "catchy"... just kidding. I only see 3s (III) and 4s (IV). I wonder if, with selective breeding, special numerals are possible? How about 2013? They would have 'MMXIII' markings on their side. Cool! 8)
MVI_0849-001.jpg
MVI_0849-001.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
MVI_0850.jpg
MVI_0850.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
- Albert Einstein

menerambo

Post by menerambo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Canerenis is a beautiful fish very close cousins to the menerambo IMHO... I've just begun today to investigate acquiring some.....
Actually, that's what inspired me to get active again on this forum so - wish me luck....
John

astratube

Post by astratube » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for photo. Jose, you have great cichlids :) and now I want these fishes too :)

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:51 am

Got mine housed with some of Jose's young andapa and Laurie's juvie tarantsy, it is a very active tank.
This little one looks like XV or maybe MXV

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 am

Duane, nice to see they're all doing well. My canarensis are still in with the bartoni young and there is really no interaction between them. I added eight small Puntius gelius, a small barb native to the canarensis's waters as an extra dither. Bad move! All but three became snacks for the bartoni. I moved the canarensis and bartoni from their 25G cube tank to a 56G (5'x1.5'x1') tank, which gives them an awful lot more room to grow out in. I'll probably have to remove the bartoni at some point, but for the time being everything is A-OK. I am finding that the canarensis still like to school but often briefly scrap (nothing serious) with one another (little nips and shoves). The suratensis are really doing well in their brackish water setup. I am going to be moving the 10 into a 55G along with 10 Orange Chromides. It should be a nice combination. The little Andapa are developing nicely too, The only ones I'm having a bit of trouble with are the P. dambabe. Of the original 10, eight are left and at this young age, they are not great eaters. So it's been tough to get them a little more robust. Other than that all is well with the fish from Jose. Continued success with yours.
Jim
- Albert Einstein

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I had some trouble with dambabe a few years back, was never able to get them to the adult stage, As juvies they seem more fragile than other Paretroplines, and I think I chose bad tank mates.
On the other hand, bartoni seem to be able to handle any tankmates, I have a lone adult bartoni in with much larger Paretroplus and Paratilapia where he holds his own without a problem.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37 am

Here's an update on my Etroplus canarensis. When I got them in mid August of last year, they were around 1" TL. They are presently at 2 1/2 to 3" and are starting to undergo some changes in pattern and color, especially when feeding. They get very competitive as soon as food is added to the tank, and show a darkening of the body and banding across the head. Their "roman numerals" fade to spots. I suspect that this will be their appearance when they are in a spawning frame of mind. They still like to school but are starting to exert their individuality. I've added a couple of pictures to show how they're coming along.
MVI_0004-001.jpg
MVI_0004-002.jpg
MVI_0004.jpg
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Asian Cichlids”