Orange Chromide Pair (Etroplus maculatus) and Fry

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Jim Cumming

Orange Chromide Pair (Etroplus maculatus) and Fry

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Well, the eggs that the pair of Orange Chromides were tending in the previous video "disappeared". But another pair that had laid eggs at the same time further back in the tank had a successful hatch and are presently herding their brood around the tank. Here's a video of the pair and young. Interesting how the color of the male and female differ, one being bright yellow-orange, the other more silver gray.
This is one species that seems to have been ignored and/or "forgotten" in the fishkeeping world. I, for one am thrilled to have this species back in my fish room.
-Jim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okb52YWy ... ture=g-upl
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Orange Chromide Pair (Etroplus maculatus) and Fry

Post by Don Hiatt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Very nice video. In my opinion, wild type E.maculatus are one the most attractive Cichlids while in breeding dress.

Good luck with them.

Jim Cumming

Re: Orange Chromide Pair (Etroplus maculatus) and Fry

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Don Hiatt wrote:Very nice video. In my opinion, wild type E.maculatus are one the most attractive Cichlids while in breeding dress.

Good luck with them.
Thanks Don. I also prefer the wilds over the "man made" color variety. That spawn is long gone but there is another cluster of about 80 fry some of which I'll syphon off and raise.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Asian Cichlids”