Etroplus Suratensis

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Tom Williams

Etroplus Suratensis

Post by Tom Williams » Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 am

So i have 4 Sri LAnken wild Etroplus Suratensis in a 125 USg tank with a few paretroplus Dammi. The water is brackish, about 2 tablespoons per gallon, and tasteably salty. The smallest specimen (about 4 inches) has gone very green with a black belly and pelvics and is hanging around with a larger 5 inch species that is an amazing colour, green spots with red/pinkish highlights in teh fins and body. Is it liley that these 2 have already paired up and if so what should i expect? I have bred E. Maculatus and Paretroplus Menarambo so i am guessing it will be similar to these 2. Any thoughts?

Tom Williams

Re: Etroplus Suratensis

Post by Tom Williams » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:59 am

Finally whilst i was at work on Friday they got it right! The female deposited a huge spawn on some bogwood. The eggs are like grapes on strings and this time pink. They started hatching in the early hours of this morning.

tom

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Very nice. One of my favorite species of Cichlids. Beautiful fish and great pics. Good job.

jenelia

Post by jenelia » Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 am

Profile of: Green chromide - Etroplus suratensis: Tropical freshwater aquarium fish and plants database with articles about aquarium hobby.

driftwood

Post by driftwood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 pm

I just picked up a small group from Rapps and I was told they were not being kept in Brackish water. I have had them for about 2 weeks and while they seem to be doing well I am ready to convert them to Brackish so I'm glad I found this post. Not much info on this fish and I am very excited to have them. Should I start adding Marine salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon and up it to 2 tablespoons in a few weeks? I was hoping to just mix the marine salt in a 5 gallon bucket and add it to the tank that way unless you suggest otherwise. Very nice fish by the way.

Return to “Asian Cichlids”