Cichlids in India?

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
Colby Dixon

Cichlids in India?

Post by Colby Dixon » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:09 am

There is a chance I may find myself in Bangalore, India in the next year or so and it made me wonder: "What Cichlids, if any, live in India?"

If I do make it there, I'd like to take a trip to the local fish market and see what kind of interesting things show up. If possible, I'd like to do some collecting there, but realize that I will need to plan in advance to check on customs and game regulations. However, from what I understand of how Indian government works, any "reasonable" request can be negatiated (for a price :roll: )

Any advice?
I'm not an aquatic biologist...I just play one on the internet.
-CD-AKA-Seedy

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:19 am

According to Fishbase, there are five species of Cichlidae in India, three of which are originating from India itself, and two that we've gone and introduced.

Etroplus canarensis Canara pearlspot endemic
Etroplus maculatus Orange chromide native
Etroplus suratensis Green chromide native
Oreochromis mossambicus Mozambique tilapia introduced
Oreochromis niloticus niloticus Nile tilapia introduced

Be aware that I've got absolutely no knowledge of fishes from India, I'm just using the existing information in Fishbase, and this may or may not be accurate...

--
Mats

Colby Dixon

Post by Colby Dixon » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:09 pm

:oops: I didn't even think to check fishbase...

Looks like I have a genus to start looking into now. Thank You!
I'm not an aquatic biologist...I just play one on the internet.
-CD-AKA-Seedy

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:05 am

Hi Seedy,
India is mostly dominated by Cyprinids (Barbs, Danios and Rasboras).
I have read theories that this may be the reason Cichlids are not well represented in India.

nirmaldev

Post by nirmaldev » Thu May 10, 2007 1:02 am

yes.etroplus is the only native fish cichlid genre here in india.
Die hard new world cichlid fan.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Post by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Fri May 11, 2007 5:55 am

however there are some very intresting little fish under the genuses badis and dario there. from a bit of internet research i had been doing before (when i'd seen some dario dario(scarlet badis) in the shop) they were at 1 point described as dwarf cichlids, however their now in a seperate group.

their very pretty though (prefer cool temps though)
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association

jenelia

Re: Cichlids in India?

Post by jenelia » Sat May 23, 2009 3:56 am

Endemic cichlids are largely absent in Asia except for four species in the Jordan Valley in the Middle East, one in Iran, and three in India and Sri Lanka.

Robert375

Post by Robert375 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Yes, You can find Cichlids in the east of India. Though it is small in number but it will increase in near future.

faerrleah

Post by faerrleah » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm

There are numerous cichlids kept in aquaria in India, and some exotic cichlids that have been introduced to Indian waters, but there are very few cichlids native to the Indian subcontinent. There are only three described species that I know of, all in the genus Etroplus. I am interested in them because they show some kinship with my favorite cichlids is the Paretroplus genus from Madagascar.

Heiko Bleher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Heiko Bleher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi,

has anyone seen the beautiful video we made in January in southern India of the amazing colour population of Etroplus maculatus?

Have a look:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.p ... &Itemid=67

and enjoy,

best regrads
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
Heiko Bleher

Topielec

Post by Topielec » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 am

Hello,

Yes, I've seen it in the past. Beautiful fish and video.
The thing that interested me is the comment about E. maculatus being a freshwater fish. It seems that this fact is mostly mistaken in the hobby?

Heiko Bleher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Heiko Bleher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi,

yes, It seems that everyone copies everyone. I only write and document what I see with my own eyes (my grandfather was a great teacher to me, a fish and plant lover...).
I have done many expeditions to India (actually finishing a large book on its freshaeter fishes, over 850 species, hope to bring it out next year, first volume 2...) and on none of my field trips I found them in brackish water.

To me all 3 species are strickly freshwater dwellers. And I reserached extensively the brackishwater fishes around the entire Indian shelf (and found several marine fishes living in brackish and freshwaters...).

best regards
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
Heiko Bleher

Paulo José Alves

Post by Paulo José Alves » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:34 am

Hi Heiko Bleher

Did I understand correctly, next year there will be a book from you about the Indian fish? I didnt understand the reference to a second volume. Are you going in the future to put out your Atlas of aquarium fish?

All The Best
Paulo José
All The Best
Paulo José

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 am

I beleive Heiko menas "Bleher’s Discus 2" book :idea:
Dear Heiko, receive congratulations at the birth of you daughter Amanda Flora Bleher!
I also hope or beleive that she will surely continue to explore the last corners of this planet, as her father Heiko Bleher, her mother Natasha, her grandmother Amanda Flora Hilda Bleher (nee Kiel) and her grand-grandfather, Adolf Kiel, has done, to catalogue the last aquatic life forms in freshwaters of this planet before it is definitely to late.
Interview with: Heiko Bleher, Jul-2010
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:38 am

Heiko,

Firstly, (I did not know, but) congratulations as Bojan offers. :)

I will never be qualified to argue with Heiko Bleher about fish, BUT...
Heiko Bleher wrote:......To me all 3 species are strickly freshwater dwellers. And I reserached extensively the brackishwater fishes around the entire Indian shelf (and found several marine fishes living in brackish and freshwaters...).
...are you saying that even E. suratensis is not found in brackish water? I have read that they are found in very soft freshwater with E. canarensis and E. maculatus (and that they do not grow as large here as they do in brackish water), but I also understand that they are more commonly found in coastal brackish lagoons.

???
Mark Wright

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:07 pm

adult suratensis aren't just brackish but can be caught near coral reefs (!)

from all accounts I've seen and read the suratensis really needs salt and often freshwater with a bit of salt won't do; it'll develop diseases once mature and does better when kept at a high brackish salinity

catch of a bunch of marine fish ; the suratensis is recognisable

another fisherman's catch.....

Etroplus suratensis in the brackish/marine swamp at Cyrene Reef, India

Etroplus suratensis has eshtablished itself in the coastal (!) waters of Singapore
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

definitely not a fresh water species; at best brackish, but likely often ventures in the deep blue sea ;)
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Thank you sidguppy. I had thought that they might be sea tolerant. Its so exciting to see photo proof!
Mark Wright

Return to “Asian Cichlids”