Etroplus canarensis spawn

Discussion about Cichlids from Middle East or Asia
ciclasoman

Etroplus canarensis spawn

Post by ciclasoman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 pm

After almost 4 years my Etroplus decided to spawn but not just one pair but at least 3 pairs are defending spawning real state. I managed to pull these eggs for incubation. I had grown desilutioned that the fish would not spawn so last winter I decided to try something different, the tank was left unheated during the winter and water temps were consistently around 60 degrees, I also added salt, salt! yes, at the suggestion of a friend, honestly I think the cool winter is a better catalyst but who knows.... I hope these little cows hatch and grow well as I am very fond of this cute community cichlid.

duanestuermer

Re: Etroplus canarensis spawn

Post by duanestuermer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Nice job, canarensis haven't made it to my part of the country yet(that I know of), maybe soon now that you've cracked the code.

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 am

I actually got my fish from David Hanamen, likely misspelled sorry, but I do think a chilly winter such as it occurs in their native India may be the key to get them to spawn. Here is a poor video of the wigglers.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... fbcf11.mp4

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Here is an update on the free swimming fry, yes, today they started taking their first steps sort of speak!
Here is a picture from a second spawn just harvested today!

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 am

All the fry are doing well, I am feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp- which I decapsulate in a mix of bleach and sosa, otherwise the fry die from ingesting the egg shells. Anyhow, the canarensis colony is remarkably productive- just collected a third spawn and it looks like I may get two more spawns shortly.

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 am

These little critters are amazing as fry are concerned, they will swim in a very tight group hardly separating. They continue to grow rapidly, many times larger their newly hatched size. I continue to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp twice a day- what my work schedule allows - an syphon off about 1/4 water daily- to remove uneaten food. I am using reverse osmosis water with a teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons.

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 pm

These little fish are even cutter than the parents! An awesome community cichlid, very colorful and with lots of character.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... 7e6eab.mp4

Return to “Asian Cichlids”