75 gallon tanks w/ no center brace

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

juicebigalow

75 gallon tanks w/ no center brace

Post by juicebigalow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 am

I recently got 2 75's but once I got them home I realized neither of them has a center brace. I'm nervous to put water in them as I fear that they could split the seams... One of the tanks is regular glass thickness and the other is really thick glass (3/4?). I need some professional advice on these guys... Can I use them in my fish room or would it be a potential disaster? I know one of you fish guru's is ready to hook a brotha up w/ advice.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

Juice <><
Current breeding list:
Enantiopus Kilesa (Yellow Throat)
Dragonsblood Peacock
Benga Sunshine Peacock
Cyprichromis Kerenge Island
Cyathopharynx Ruziba

hd1340ccrider

Re: 75 gallon tanks w/ no center brace

Post by hd1340ccrider » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:19 am

Just wanted to say, I have a 75gal breeder 18Dx48Lx20H with 1/2" thick glass and has no center brace. I put mine on the back porch and filled it up to the top and let it set there for 2 weeks and watched for the sides to bow but they never did. I have had mine up and running for the past 6 months and couldnt be happier with the tank

astevens4

Post by astevens4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 pm

if you know a friendly glazing place, im sure you ccould pick up some bracers cut to size for pennies or the likes of ebay have people selling all sorts of stuff - even clear acrylic would do as a bracer - a little tank silicone, and you dont have to worry yourself about it!

zenins

Post by zenins » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Does it look like the centre brace has been cut from the tank top trim ?

The aquarium may be an older one with thick glass and been made without a brace.
As suggested, add a centre brace if it will make you feel better ;)

Test it in the basement or garage ... good luck !

Return to “For Beginners”