could tropical fish live in pond

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

gazthedart

could tropical fish live in pond

Post by gazthedart » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:29 am

i think they call it tropical pond, ive never seen it done but i can imagine they try mimic the same setting to where the tropical fish are found in the wild. what does it mean by substance thickness and the possibility of tropical fish out in the pond in the summer time then back to the indoor aquarium in the winter time. i can imagine it's to do with the use of plants on the surface and below to create the thickness?
so let's say you have a normal pond in garden, lots of space like 1000 plus litres and clean water and good filtration set up. how would you keep the water temperature and conditions similar to the wild? i dont think the aquarium heaters you can buy will work here lol thanks, i was wondering about this earlier.

Bas Pels

Re: could tropical fish live in pond

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:22 am

There are tropical ponds, but these are not made in the garden. I've heard about people creating such in the floor of their basement, complete with heaters and so on. Basically, they created a large tank, but only seen from above.

What we are aiminig at, is something completely different.

If you have a pond in the sun, the watertemerature can reach rather high temeratures in summer. But these will fall down at night.

Now, not all fishes from the tropics like it hot. Manaus is always 28-30 C, but Nairobi (Kenya) is on the equator too, with an average of 24 C. Problem is, I know no fishes from there. I do know, however, fishes from Sri Lanka which like it cool. This island has mountains high enaugh to have cool water.

But for the pond - dont obey any rule regarding ponds. Ponds are advised to be placed in the shade - we need to provide as much sun as possible. Problem is, algae will enjoy this, which we still don't want. Now you can fill the pond with rainwater - which does not support algae, or you use my system: start with used aquariumwater. This your I even added some fertiliser, because a lot of rain was expected in the coming weeks. this will need a fortnight to get green, and then you either add Daphina, or you wait until the Daphina are brought by birds. The Daphina will eat the algae, the water gets red and you can collect the Daphina for feeding you fishes. After a while the pond will loose its redness, and not get green again, because all the stuff supporting algae has been used.

Plants are potted, in order to have them growing before placing them into the pond

gazthedart

Re: could tropical fish live in pond

Post by gazthedart » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 pm

thanks for that it was a very interesting read, i think i will stick to aquarium for now anyway as im used to it. it would be nice to do that custom made tank downstairs though, ive seen YouTube videos it's like they call it monster tank with every type of big fish in, its mad but some people are crazy about fishkeeping yeah.

Return to “For Beginners”