Gday from oz

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

chopstick_mike

Gday from oz

Post by chopstick_mike » Fri May 06, 2016 2:56 am

Hi guys just thought I'd say hi I've only recently got back into cichlids in the past year or so Image here is my 7x2x2 tank mostly lake vics and mbuna in there I started with haps and peacocks then moved to mbuna but am slowly getting into lake Victorians I've been told not to mix them but I can't bring myself to trade them into LFS yet

SergeS

Re: Gday from oz

Post by SergeS » Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 am

"Purists" will probably not agree, but Vics and Malawi Mbuna is not the worst mix out there, I think. It depends a bit on the species of course. Mbuna are largely vegetarian, but if you take that into account, then the behaviour is quite similar as far as I know! Also, the water parameters are closer.

For the purists: what would be a better tank? A tank where you mix Vics with Mbuna (all with similar preferences for food, behaviour, tank design, tank size, and water), or a tank with Mbuna and Aulonocara (both from Lake Malawi, but very different in terms of behaviour, tank structure and food!). I think the first. Yet, I see a lot more tanks with Mbuna and Aulonocara than I see tanks with Vics and Mbuna....

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Gday from oz

Post by Lisachromis » Wed May 11, 2016 12:07 pm

As long as you feed a varied diet, I really don't see much of an issue with your tank. It all depends if you want a 'biotope' tank or not.

Return to “For Beginners”