African and American Cichlids Fish Tank

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Peram

African and American Cichlids Fish Tank

Post by Peram » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:01 am

Hello everyone
I am going to join the hobby by getting a 105gl tank full of cichlids. I love the colors and variety of African Cichlid esp, Lake Malawi fish but on the other hand I really want one or two green terror in my tank. I really love the GTs but since i'm planning to fill my tank with electric yellows, frantosas, borleyi and other malawi ones, it seems like a big risk. now is it possible to mix these fish with green terror?
can i also add a pair of severums?
thanks to all

smitty

Re: African and American Cichlids Fish Tank

Post by smitty » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:17 am

Let me tell you a lesson I learned from being in the hobby. You can not have everything. So i say go with what you really like the most because the S/S cichlids water conditions are different than Africans. Good luck.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:54 am

Peram wrote:Hello everyone
I am going to join the hobby by getting a 105gl tank full of cichlids. I love the colors and variety of African Cichlid esp, Lake Malawi fish but on the other hand I really want one or two green terror in my tank. I really love the GTs but since i'm planning to fill my tank with electric yellows, frantosas, borleyi and other malawi ones, it seems like a big risk. now is it possible to mix these fish with green terror?
No
can i also add a pair of severums?
thanks to all
certainly not

Malawi cichlids are very active swimmers, Adinicara sp not. Further Adinicara are much larger than Mbuna, thus less agile. Chances are, the Mbuna will eat all the food, leaving nothing for the Adinocara. The same will go for severums

Even further, Malawi cichlids which are Mbuna, need to eat algea. Feeding high proteiin will result in rapid growth, and fish which are far too big, and agressive, for their own good. These monsters are not beautifull any more. But Adinocara is a predator, which needs protein. For severums this is slightly less a problem

Than there is the little matter of water chemistry. Lake Malawi has hard water, with a high pH. Severums, from the Amazon area, come from soft water with a low pH. Adinocara are from the andes region, with slightly less soft water, but the pH is around neutral

I will not go into kinds of agression - the above will suffice for the no and no I gave

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 pm

No you cant some of those fish you talk about get to big for the african cichlid fish

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Return to “For Beginners”