Malawi tank: possible or not possible? This is the problem

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

mauog

Malawi tank: possible or not possible? This is the problem

Post by mauog » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi all,
I fell in love time ago with cichlids looking at their parental care.
Now I could have the opportunity to setup a tank for them but reading and browsing different sources I got opposite opinions.
So I decided to still look into before taking a decision.

I could setup a thank which can be from 80 cm (31 in) width x 50 cm (19 in) depth x 50 cm (19 in) height to 100 cm (39 in) x 50 cm (19 in) depth x 50 cm (19 in) height dependig on different factors.
I would put in it some mbuna from Malawi.
Some people told me this is impossible at least in the 80 cm (31 in) wide tank. Some-other told me I can do it.
Of course I know there isn't a a math formula which can say "yes" or "Not". As far as I caught it depend on different factors e.g. the tank layout, the kind of fish, the experience, etc. etc.
I also received different opinions about population.
I'd like to have some pseudotropheus saulosi with some idotropheus sprengae and of course I got same different verdicts.
I'm still confused.

Thank you in advance to everyone who wants to share your knowledge and experience with me.

M.

Evan

Re: Malawi tank: possible or not possible? This is the probl

Post by Evan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:55 pm

The two species you are trying to keep are dwarf mbuna and can go in a smaller tank than most mbuna. That being said, even for these fish I would say 80cm is too small. I think you would need to be around 95cm or higher.

mauog

Post by mauog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 pm

What is the most important thing in the tank?
Width for swimming, the base area, the height of the tank...
If I could reach 100 cm in width, what should be the other two dimensions?

Thanks

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 pm

The most important aspect of a tank for cichlids is one thing: floor plan. Generally speaking, the longer and wider it is, the better the fish like it. Height is really only an issue with tall fish, like altums.

Return to “For Beginners”