using old water in a new tank???? help pls !

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

teri

using old water in a new tank???? help pls !

Post by teri » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 am

so to make this a long story short ive been cycling my 55 gallon for about 6 weeks now i believe it is almost cycled my ammonia at 0 nitrites at .1 and for some reason my nitrates at 80 the last few days, because of the nitrates ive been doing 50% changes (only for 2 days now) and it brings it down right away but there back up again the next day .. so if someone could tell me why that is that would be awesome .. but my main question is i set up my old 25 gallon tank today (everything was dried out and cleaned so its a new tank again) i plan on using it for breeding/sick tank. so because my 55 gallon isnt fully cycled yet obviously i dont have any media ect. to use to help cycle the 25g so when i was doing a water change on the 55 i figured it would make sense to use the water in the new tank because it is almost cycled, will this work ? or am going to be completely at day 1 just the same as if i put straight tap water in ? i do use prime as well and i dont want to put any fish in the new tank as they have already been through hell and back with the tank theyre in right now :s thanks for any help :)

deeda

Re: using old water in a new tank???? help pls !

Post by deeda » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:34 pm

The quarantine tank also needs to be cycled before using it as such. There are 2 ways you can accomplish this: do a fishless cycle or use a seeded filter (pad, sponge, or actual filter) on the tank.

Used tank water contains a negligible amount of nitrifying bacteria to properly establish a tank fit for fish.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2018

Pete B

Post by Pete B » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:46 am

There are widely available products you can add which allow you to add fish straight away.

teri

Post by teri » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:10 pm

apparently im not getting my notifications lol but yes i am cycling the 25 gallon before putting fish in it theyve been through enough cycling the 55 gallon they need a break lol i added a couple extra filter cartridges to the 55 gallon so ill leave them for a couple weeks to build up bacteria than ill take out the old media and put it in the new tank to help cycle it. i was just thinking old water might help to but i guess it makes sense its water it doesnt really have anything for the bacteria to hold on to lol ... and i do have things that claim to make it ok for your fish but ive used it in the past and it doesnt do that good of a job the fish survive but are clearly not happy they were constantly flashing on the sand and rock so clearly they were bothered so i just use prime now which ive been told tons its probably the best product out there. thanks guys :)

Return to “For Beginners”