Joined Today

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Alton

Joined Today

Post by Alton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi everyone, My name is Alton and I have had African Chiclids for almost 4 years now. I Have had Aquariums off and on for 20 years. I got into chiclids in a very big way, 14 Tanks running now, LOL!! I am gearing up to raise some of the uncommon species and still trying to get some of them in. But here is what I have now:

Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Red Shoulder"
Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Ruby Reds"
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Masinje
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North (Nkhata Bay Yellow Head)
Aulonocara Ethelwynnae Chitande

My Wish list:

Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Kande
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Nkhomo
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Mozambique
Copadichromis Virginalis Fire Crest
Copadichromis Virginalis Gold Blaze

Any help with finding these guys will be greatly appreciated. The last 2 I am sure I will be getting very soon. But the top 3 are the ones I really want.

Thanks and looking forward to learning from everyone.
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North (Nkhata Bay)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Red Shoulder
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Ruby Red

SergeS

Re: Joined Today

Post by SergeS » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:02 am

Welcome :D

I see you like "Chitande type" Peackocks :) Good choice, I used to have A. ethelwynnae myself. Had to sell them as they could not hold their own in my tank, but if I ever have room for more tanks, like you, I'm sure I'll keep them or a similar species again. Very nice fish indeed! And they're small, which makes it a lot easier to keep them :)

Recently. there have been some new imports in Europe of C. virginalis, you should indeed be able to find these guys (also in the US I assume). Aren't the two that you mention the same fish?

Anyway, the Chitande's are probably not easy to obtain, but if you do: make sure to post some pictures :) Good luck in tracking them down!

Alton

Post by Alton » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks Serges, The two Copadichromis Virginalis species are different. The Gold Blaze has a yellowish/Gold Blaze across the top of the head and Dorsal fin while the Fire Crest has red in the Dorsal fin. It reminds me of flames on some of the males I have seen. Both of those I do have first dibs on and hoping to have confirmation this friday they are on the way. I will definately post some pics of them.

As for the other Chitande species I will not give up til I have them. One supplier found them as tank raised somewhere but said he was not impressed with their genetics so he did not order them for me. So I have hope I will get them. The Ethelwynnaes are so pretty. Even the females sport colors in their fins. Right now I have 3 strains in them and have had one female hold and swallow the eggs twice. I am hoping she figures it out before I have to strip and tumble the eggs. The Masinje's I do have 48 juvies growing out from wild caught parents. They were breeding like mad and without notice the male died on me. I do have 2 males and 2 female wild caughts coming in 2 weeks. So I am hoping to have more fry coming on these guys again. So farI have noticed they are very mellow guys and love to play in the tank. Only aggression I have noticed is from the males during spawns. Then they hate themselves I think, Hee Hee.

I will give a try on posting some pics later today.

Alton

Post by Alton » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 pm

First attempt at loading some pics. Hope they turn out
Aul. Sp. Chitande North Juvie Male
Juvie Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North Nkhata Bay (Yellow Head)
Juvie Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North Nkhata Bay (Yellow Head)
Aul. Stuartgranti "Red Shoulder" F1 Male
F1 Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Red Shoulder" Male
F1 Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Red Shoulder" Male
Male Aul. Ethelwynnae Chitande
Male Ethelwynnae
Male Ethelwynnae
Wild Caught Aul. Sp. Chitande Type Masinje Male (He passed away but I did get 48 Fry from him first)
W/C Male Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Masinje
W/C Male Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Masinje
F1 Aul. Sp. Chitande Type Masije Juvie Male (One of my babies)
Aul. Sp. Chitande Type Masinje Juvie Male
Aul. Sp. Chitande Type Masinje Juvie Male
Red Frontosa, Got this guy 3 years ago before I found out they were undesirable. But I like him so he will have a home til he passes.
Red Frontosa
Red Frontosa

juicebigalow

Post by juicebigalow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 pm

I happened upon your old post because I just came across a group of Aulonocara Ethelwynnae Chitande. I was wondering if you still have any or know anyone who does. Let me know when you can.

Josh <><
Current breeding list:
Enantiopus Kilesa (Yellow Throat)
Dragonsblood Peacock
Benga Sunshine Peacock
Cyprichromis Kerenge Island
Cyathopharynx Ruziba

Snailos

Post by Snailos » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi.

Where do you live? If I assume in the USA and I am right then I know a guy that can help you with getting some wild caught.

hope I can help you:)

Snailos

Post by Snailos » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm

juicebigalow wrote:I happened upon your old post because I just came across a group of Aulonocara Ethelwynnae Chitande. I was wondering if you still have any or know anyone who does. Let me know when you can.

Josh <><

If you want "Ethels" where do you stay?

juicebigalow

Post by juicebigalow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Snailos -

I live in Central Ohio. Going to the OCA's Cichlid Extravaganza in a couple of weeks. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

I'd love to get my hands on more of these fish... specifically females but a wild caught group wouldn't be too bad either haha. The group I have right now are F1's. I think I have 3m and 2f. I know I have at least 2m.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Josh <><
Current breeding list:
Enantiopus Kilesa (Yellow Throat)
Dragonsblood Peacock
Benga Sunshine Peacock
Cyprichromis Kerenge Island
Cyathopharynx Ruziba

Return to “For Beginners”