Help

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

F_RID82

Help

Post by F_RID82 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 pm

I just acquired a 72 gallon bow front tank with 13 cichlids for free with fish included. I got very little information from previous owner. I have been keeping fish for a while, but have never kept cichlids and know nothing about them or how to identify them. I believe the tank is overstocked and there may be health issues. I have noticed some aggression as well. I need help identifying these fish and their dietary needs of each. Also if they are all compatible together or should be separated or which ones are compatible with others. Any help on setting up the tank would be greatly appreciated. Please don't judge me by the way it is now doing the best I can, substrate is Carib Sea agrinet PH is 8.2, All other parameters are 0. All fish are over 5 inches except for 3.
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

bdmminer

Re: Help

Post by bdmminer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:12 am

Ok, here are your ID's in order of the pics, Jewel Cichlid (not sure on exact species), Neolamprologus Cylindricus, Red Empress Hap (probably), Electric Blue Acara, Super Red Severum.

Some of these fish are more aggressive than others, but in general cichlids are slightly aggressive. If you want to move some fish around the Jewel Cichlids and the Cylindricus I would move because they can get a bit nippy but as long as you do not see some of your fish cowering in a corner of the tank and afraid to come out I thing if should be fine.

On the topic of food a general cichlid formulated pellet food would be good for them.

hope this helps

Return to “For Beginners”