Microdontochromis rotundiventralis

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

MGSNK

Re: Microdontochromis rotundiventralis

Post by MGSNK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Gerd wrote: What can you tell us?
From what you wrote, I guess, you didn't remark the holding fish either.
I'm very eager to make more and better observations now. And I realized, that you must be much more vigilant, than with other species, because everything is so concealed. Unfortunately I have to leave my house from time to time to make a living. And to finance my hobby. :roll:
And let me ask one more question: Does your fry also have this bright white "cap"? I think, I can see it in the pics you posted, but it was quite flashy with my fry.
So long! Waiting for more spawns and more observations
and wishing you good luck with yours.
Your theory could very well be true, still rather strange that you didn't find any fry. Do your still have their egg-yolk sac? The left-over specimen of mine still does. And yes, the bright cap on their head is very specific I reckon, I've never seen it on any other fry. It definitely is rather bright.
Mine are still holding, and the fry seem to be quite large.

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello!
MGSNK wrote:Do your still have their egg-yolk sac?
An importand question!
I intended to do, but forgot to write this! No! They didn't have a yolk sac! Not the shadow of it! That's what makes me unsure in my assumption, they could have been released prematurely! Really strange.
MGSNK wrote:Mine are still holding, and the fry seem to be quite large.
Keep us updated!
Regards
Gerd

MGSNK

Post by MGSNK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Well Gerd, the seems to be the thing, the theory is that these fish feed their fry while keeping them in their mouths.
I suggest to you start feeding fine food (cyclops, baby brine shrimps) :lol: might do the trick :lol:

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello!
MGSNK wrote:I suggest to you start feeding fine food (cyclops, baby brine shrimps) might do the trick
I did so!
In the tank, they are in, there's lots of Paracyprichromis fry, and my fresh Lestradea fry (as long as they are really small) as well! Thats why I always feed freshly hatched brine shrimp and stuff like this in this tank. Didn't do the trick.

MGSNK

Post by MGSNK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm

We probably are staring to much at the fish :lol: perhaps we should give them more privacy :lol:

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 am

Hello,
in between, my fry is growing rapidly and is about 8 to 10 mm by now.
I post you some pics, to show you the surprising "white caps", we were talking about.
I added two pics, which are quite out of focus too, because they display quite well how flashy these "caps" are, and the astonishing effect, they make.
Best regards
Gerd
Attachments
Micro. juvenil4.jpg
Micro. juvenil3.jpg
Micro. juvenil2.jpg
Micro. juvenil1.jpg

MGSNK

Post by MGSNK » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:07 am

My fry has lost its cap almost already... So my guess really is that your female/male released the fry too early!
Because this is how my fry looked like last week. Good news though, I'm happy to see they are growing well.

Multi

Post by Multi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 am

I know this topic is old, but I have some questions, so I "bring it to live" again. :)
I have read this topic many times now, it has been very good to have! There is still almost no information on the internet about this species. :?

Well, I receive 20 Microdontochromis rotundiventralis in two weeks, exactly. I'm looking forward to that; it sounds like a very interesting species! They are supposed to live in a 360 l (130 x 50 x 55 cm) tank, probably with some Neolamprologus kungweensis...

What kind of food have you given them?

Multi

Post by Multi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello! I am going to receive 20 Micro's on Thursday. It sounds like a so nice species, so I am looking very much forward to this!
I know this has become a pretty old topic, but I have some questions, which I hope you will answer. :)
What have you fed them with? And what about the waterparameters and the temperature, what has it been in your tanks with Micro's?

johnathan

Post by johnathan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello Multi.
The Microdontochromis is a very peaceful species. I keep them with other rather peaceful Xeno's(spilopterus & Sima), Para. nigripinnis blue neon & Neo. Leleupi. You can keep them with other Cyprichromis & shell dwellers as well.
Water temp' should be 24-25 degrees Celsius, you should do water changes every 7-8 days, at least 33%.

"PISCES" farm Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/Bemazaldagim

Multi

Post by Multi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 am

I have this species (Microdontochromis rotundiventralis). I've got them from Germany, 20 fish, and everything was so well, for a very long time - 6 months! They had eggs, fry ... Everything, as in the perfect aquarium!

Then I decided some time ago only to make water change 1 time every 2 week, when I heard that many had had success with it, and in the beginning it went fine too. Some time ago, one of the fish became ill - one of the deformed fish. After some time it died, but I thought that something had been wrong with it from the beginning. Then, the other deformed fish died, and now, one more fish is ill. Now, I only have 14 fish left. The one, who is ill now, has the same symptoms as the other fish had before they died - I am afraid that it’s caused by poor water quality, and will begin to make water change 1 time every week as before. : (

The symptom of the ill fish is as follows: The fish swims in a big group a little bit above the bottom of the aquarium all the time - all together. Suddenly one fish begins to breathe more rapidly and it swims more and more in the back of the group over a period of time. It begins to breathe much faster. There is no sight of sticking dandruff (Is that was it’s called?), mold, or wounds; the fish have normal color, perhaps a bit brighter. At one point, the fish begins to stay in the back of the aquarium, lying on the bottom (with the stomach down, just resting on the bottom). The belly never turns upwards! The fish is now gasping quickly and it stops eating. After some days, the colors are brighter and brighter. And then, the fish dies.

It makes me really, really sad that my fish is dying, because before, everything was so well! I hate to see the fish-group shrink - these fish means a lot to me, and I have no idea what is happening! I'm afraid it is a form of water-intoxication - can that be the reason why my fish are dying? The weird thing is, that this only happens for one fish at a time ...

I hope that there are some who know what this is, and how to cure! : (

MGSNK

Post by MGSNK » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am

Treat them against flaggelates. They are very senstive for that.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”