Xenotilapia sp "Kainda"

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

Carl

Xenotilapia sp "Kainda"

Post by Carl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:05 am

Hi.
Anyone heard of this fish?
I got them from a friend that called them X.flavipinnis "Kianda" (not Kainda). But at a closer look they don´t look like a flavipinnis. I did some search on the internet and my guess it that my fish is the fish that some people refeer to as X.sp Kainda. Has been seen in the wild around Tembwe, Congo (that much I understood, not much more as the site were french...). It also seem more prone to swim above stones and eat from them, more then the flavipinnis.
Is that a new spieces? or just a colour variant of another? All info of interest.
Thanks
/Carl

AnGsThAsE

Re: Xenotilapia sp "Kainda"

Post by AnGsThAsE » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:19 am

Hi Carl,
can you take a few photo of your fishs, then it would be easier to say which spieces it is.

matze
http://www.xenotilapia.de

Carl

Post by Carl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:27 pm

I have no pictures yet taken at home, below you can see a quite lousy photograph i found on the net, sorry....
This is anyway how it looks. looks like a flavipinnis but more elongated head, not as steep forehead as the flavipinnis, the dorsal fin yellow with 4-5 spots without colorations along the lowest part of the fin, some blue irridish spot on the side as many other xenos.
I´m quite sure that I have the fish that sometimes is called X.sp kainda, and from where it comes in the lake (around Tembwe) but I´m surprised I have not heard of it before? mybe just a mixup with an other species? Any info of interest.
All the best
/Carl

http://www.cichlid.szm.sk/Xenotilapia%20kainda.htm

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi Carl,

from your description it sounds like it's the same fish as Xenotilapia sp. "lepeli": http://www.cichlidae.com/section.php?n=tsd&id=107

I have never seen it alive, so it's hard for me to say if we are dealing with a undescribed species, or a geographical variant of Xenotilapia flavipinnis. From the descriptions available on the web there seems to be some differences though. What's your initial impression?

How many did you manage to get?

All the best, Thomas

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:52 am

Oh yes! That looks like it. I can not clearly see the lighter dots on the dorsal but probably thay are there, the shape and the colour is the same. It not likely that there should be another, almost exactly the same cichlid at exactly the same locality. Thanks Thomas.
I promise to upload some pictures when they have established themselves in my tank properly.
My friend got hold of a group adults and took care of one brood and have at least 25 5-7 cm left. I have 5 in my tank and they seem to get along well with the other fish. My initial impression is, as I wrote before, that it´s probably not a flavipinnis, the shape is different, you see it if you have a real flavipinnis in a tank just beside and compare, I also think, but this is just after a copuple of days with the fish at home, that they are more prono to take refuge among the rock, thay also eat from algy stones sometimes. So the behaviour is somewhere between the flavipinnis and the X.Papillio/papillis sunflower. But, keep in mind, I only had it for a couple of days. I´ll return with some more observations. It´s not a bombastic beauty, a bit discrete in coloration but when sunlight hit from tha side, you see some blue irridiscent dots along the side and it´s a beauty.
This is the things that make cichlids fun to keep! You never really know what you get.......

Thanks

/Carl

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:45 am

It could be great if you would post some photos and updates on them! I've tried to get my hands on some for quite a while, as they are really puzzling me :)

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:10 pm

OK, here is two bad pictures I just took, I did not have my slave flash for this occation, sorry for the bad quality, but I think you can see how the fish look.
As you see, the same shape as the fish called X.sp "Lepeli". Maybe the dorsal is more orange that in reality on the pictures. Nice?
/Carl
xeno sp 1.jpg
First pic, with strobe, bed quality
xeno sp 2.jpg
If possible, worse quality, no strobe

Carl

Post by Carl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:11 pm

OK, another try, a bit better photos this time. The dorsal is more yellow than it seems in the picture.
/Carl

lepeli3.jpg
sp.lepeli 3
lepeli1.jpg
sp.lepeli 1
lepeli2.jpg
sp.lepeli 2

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:12 am

Yes, this is sp. lepeli/kainda. At first glance it looks like a Xenotilapia flavipinnis, but there is something different to it.

Thanks for posting the pics, Carl!

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:04 am

Carl,

here is a photo of a Xenotilapia flavipinnis from Tembwe:

It has blue spots in the dorsal as well, but also two blue horizontal lines. Does your fish have these lines? I think I can see one line in your pictures, but not two?

All the best, Thomas

Carl

Post by Carl » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:12 am

Hi Thomas.
no I don´t think i can see any lines in the dorsal fin, at least not as prominent as on the Flavipinnis on the picture.
Still exiting...
/Carl

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 am

Your fish also has yellow in the ventral fins, the Tembwe doesn't. A puzzling fish indeed!

All the best, Thomas

JeffT

Post by JeffT » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 am

I know this is an old post but I'm sure there are still people interested. I have bred these recently. Here is a pic of one of them - not sure of sex. This is wild caught.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”