Benthochromis melanoides Article By Thomas Anderson

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Benthochromis melanoides Article By Thomas Anderson

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Great article by Thomas on Benthochromis melanoides in the April 2013 issue of Cichlid News Magazine.

One thing to mention is that on more than one occassion, when juvenile Benthchromis, approx. 4 cm total length, were exported from the Zambian portion of the lake several years ago in large numbers, they comprised both B. melanoides (see my photo of a 7cm juvenile that had resided in Rich Bireley's aquarium for several months, having been purchased as a 4 cm juvenile) and B. horii. It seems that B. tricoti may be an exclusive offshore species, since no juveniles have ever been caught in shallow water, or ever came in mixed with shipments of juvenile Benthochromis. The three species of Benthochromis living sympatrically in Zambia is akin to the species of Diplotaxodon, or Rhamphochromis, of Lake Malawi, of which several species are known to live side by side, being closely related, and yet maintaining their distinct species status. There is still a tremendous amount of knowledge we have yet to uncover regarding the complex relationships that the cichlids from Lake Tanganyika display towards each other and their environment.

I would like to think that in the future, it will not be so easy for one, or two contributors, to Cichlidae.com to make null and void scientifically valid species descriptions so quickly.

cyatide

Re: Benthochromis melanoides Article By Thomas Anderson

Post by cyatide » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 am

I would like to join my compliments and thanks to Thomas for this very interesting work that finally makes light on this mysterious Cichlid.

However it remains to me really amazing and almost biologically inexplicable such a difference regarding males' colors and ornaments between this species and horii (ex tricoti?) which, on the other hand, are almost the same about body shape, dimensions and female aspect.

Paolo Salvagiani

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Benthochromis melanoides Article By Thomas Anderson

Post by Philippe Burnel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 am

Mark Smith wrote:It seems that B. tricoti may be an exclusive offshore species, since no juveniles have ever been caught in shallow water, or ever came in mixed with shipments of juvenile Benthochromis.
Maybe because there are only 2 Benthochromis species.......
It's not the picture of a immature tricoti in CN that will change my point of view.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”