Lestradea perspicax!

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

Benoit

Post by Benoit » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:06 am

Je vais peut être te convaincre de venir en France...
I may convince you to come to France now ;)

Visiblement il semble satisfait de son oeuvre :) .
Apparently he seems satisfied of his work.

Une fois cette base en place, il a commencé à rajouter du sable sur le monticule qui enceint le tout...
Once this established he began adding sand on the edge that surrounds the hole...

Mais comme le sable présent dans le cratère a fini par manquer, il va en chercher aux alentours...
But as the sand finally misses in the nest, he goes to find some in the surroundings

Et en rajoute...
And adds again

Et en rajoute encore... :silly:
And again...

Si tu veux en discuter en francais tu peux venir là : http://www.cichlidsforum.com/-lestradea ... 15051.html

;)

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 am

Wonderful pictures Benoit, and a good description of how the males will collect sand around the nest to improve it :) I had a breeding colony in a 1440 liter tank (180 x 100 x 80 cm) with 8 or 9 males building nests, and they would actually steal sand from each other; quite fun to watch, I’ll see if I can find some pictures
Benoit wrote: Max Poll indicates in the fascicle 5B, in 1956, that he had described L. stappersi as different from L. perspicax because he didn't have many specimens to compare their measurements. Later, he examined that again and concluded he was wrong, and that the two different species were in fact two sub-species (all measurements and features are the same, except for some fishes which have tricuspid teeth, when the majority has conical teeth).

Sub-species are not existing now, so we can think they are two different species. With two different living aeras in the lake.

Exactly. Poll regards them as two separate species (1986: Classification de Cichlidae du lac Tanganika), but e.g. Konings has suggested that Lestradea stappersii should be regarded as a junoir synonym of L. perspicax, because differences in the shape of the teeth could be dependent on available food sources and not necessarily an indication of two separate species.

That’s why I found it so interesting that it apparantly seems there are differences in the coloration of fry, which would be an indication of two species of Lestradea

All the best, Thomas

cjuvinall

Re: Lestradea perspicax!

Post by cjuvinall » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 am

GREAT Pictures of a beautiful fish. I have a 210g tank (84"x24"x24") and have the opportunity to purchase some Lestradea perspicax. Which of these three would make the best tankmate for them: C. foai, O. ventralis, or E. sp. Kilesa.

Thanks
Chris Juvinall
Minnesota

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:03 am

Hi Chris,

hmmm, one way or the other I think chances are that the fishes will disturb each other. The thing with Lestradea perspicax is that if they are the dominant fishes, the males are quite cable of securing their nest and territory against other fish - on the other hand if being dominated the males seldom show their true colors, and I think C. foai and O. ventralis may be too much for them. If you try one of these combinations I think it's best to add the Lestradea first, giving them some time to settle in and claim their territories before adding other fishes. Enantiopus could work out, as your tank is quite large, just make sure there is plenty of non-occupied room for the Enantiopus.

All the best, Thomas

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 pm

I have a pair of Xenotilapia flavipinnis with my Lestradea, and the two species get on well.
It was only temporary at first, but I was surprised: no problems at all, even with spawnings.

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:34 am

Yes, there are usually no problems keeping Lestradea together with a bi-parental Xenotilapia species, as they won't compete for spawning sites.

Chris, given it some more thoughts I'd would go for a group of Enantiopus. In such a large tank there should plenty of room for both the stake out their territories and nests - unless you have 10 Lestradea males like I had at one point, then they are all over the tank :lol:

http://www.zippyvideos.com/515267345469 ... 0001_0001/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6191760764694026/000_0002/

All the best, Thomas

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:39 am

nice movie, Thomas

did they steal sand from each others' bower?
I've known some ectodines to do this when more males are close together.....
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

cjuvinall

Post by cjuvinall » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I actually scored on a group of 14 (3m/11f) Cyathopharynx foai Sibwesa, so I am just going to keep them in there with a pair of N. speciosus and 2m/2f Callochromis stappersi.
Chris Juvinall
Minnesota

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Sid, yes they do steal sand from each other, a lot actually. Quite fun to watch when a male venture out of his nest to steal some sand, and then get robbed himself by another male.

Good luck with the C. foai, Chris - it could be nice if would post some pictures when they are settled in :)

All the best, Thomas

Bennyvis

Post by Bennyvis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:03 am

Very nice fish.
They are very hard to get in The Netherlands, and information is also very rare.

How do you keep them best ? (3m/5f) (1m/1f) ???
And how big does the tank needs to be ?
And with what kind of fish can you keep them best ?

Can you, for example keep 2m/3f in a tank of 120×40×50cm with 8 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and 8 Xenotilapia ornatipinnis.
Tanganyika

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Hello!
Bennyvis wrote:Very nice fish.
Yes, indeed, and easy to keep. And I wonder, why they are so rarely to be found in retailers' tanks.
Bennyvis wrote:How do you keep them best ? (3m/5f) (1m/1f) ???
Definitely more, than 1m/1f! 3m/5f is okay. More is better.
Bennyvis wrote:Can you, for example keep 2m/3f in a tank of 120×40×50cm with 8 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and 8 Xenotilapia ornatipinnis.
You sure choose good tankmates for Lestradea, but the tank you mention, in my opinion, isn't big enough. It's not only the size of the fish. More than this, it's the fact, that it is a passionate swimmer. This fish is always in action. Look at it's big caudal fin and imagine, how it can accelerate! May be you CAN keep it in a 120 cm tank, but you SHOULD NOT. Sorry! :(
Regards
Gerd
Attachments
Lestradea 049.jpg
Lestradea 049.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

Bennyvis

Post by Bennyvis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks for your reply :)
What size of tank do you keep them in ?
And does anyone ever kept these in a 120cm. tank ?
Tanganyika

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Hello!
Bennyvis wrote:Thanks for your reply :) What size of tank do you keep them in ?
I keep them in a 160X60X60.
And I can see: That's what they need at least.
Regards
And a good night! :wink:
Gerd
Attachments
alle 023a.jpg

J-wedding

Post by J-wedding » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 am

Hello Gerd,

Do you maybe have some pics of the tank you keep these wonderfull fish in?
And maybe some more pictures of the fish themselves? 8)

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello,
so sorry, but perusing my pics, I realised, that indeed I haven't any pics of the tank itself :(
I would take some new pics now, but I moved to another house (with all the tanks - what a hardship!) and right now, the Lestradea are swimming in a tank, decorated with water, water and water.
Here are some of my old pics. Hope, you like them!
Regards
Gerd
Attachments
Lestradea 073.jpg
Full splendor
alle 058.jpg
An adult male with a youngster.
IMG_1061.JPG
When mating, the yellow colour in the fins almost disappears and is replaced by black patterns.
IMG_2007.JPG
Here you can see the impressive crater, they build, when mating.

AnGsThAsE

Post by AnGsThAsE » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi Gerd,
nice pics!
when i see all the nice lestradea pics, i wonder that just a few people (in germany) are keeping this beautiful fish!

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello Matze,
pleased to hear (read) from you!
AnGsThAsE wrote:i wonder that just a few people (in germany) are keeping this beautiful fish!
JOIN THE CLUB !!
Don't you right now "create space" in one of your tanks? :wink: (What is it provided for?)

But seriously: In retailers' tanks Lestradea always looks unattractive, like a herring. I myself too didn't know about the real beauty of this species, until they swam in my own tank and showed colours.
Regards
Gerd

J-wedding

Post by J-wedding » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Beautiful pics!
I see you keep them with Aulonocranus, from what I've heard these fish combine with most of the sanddwellers without any problems.

I was thinking about keeping them in my tank with a group of Xenotilapia.
The Xenotilapia Flavipinnis Nyanza Lac, Xenotilapia Spilopterus Mabilibili/Kipili or a few Xenotilapia Papilio Tembwe II.

Do you have any experience with Lestradea and Xenotilapia?
And an important one, how do they combine with Synodontis?

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 am

some of the people here that can get away with combining sandcichlids are among the best cichlidkeepers in the world......

start with keeping only 1 species. once you've "seen it all", try another one.

mixing them is ALWAYS less optimal than sticking to a single species of sandcichlid.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Gerd

Post by Gerd » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 am

Hello!
J-wedding wrote:I see you keep them with Aulonocranus
That's right, but I expressly do not recommend this.
J-wedding wrote:from what I've heard these fish combine with most of the sanddwellers without any problems.
Because - and here again obviously different keepers made different experiences - in all combinations I kept Aulonacranus, it was a very dominating and nasty fish. First of all, very voracious! More indulgent tankmates almost starved! No kidding!
Originally Aulonacranus wasn't scheduled for the Lestradea tank, but once, when I had too much offspring and didn't know where to raise them, I raised some in the Lestradea tank.
The permanent tankmates of my Lestradea were X. ornatipinnis and P. brieni. An easy-going team.
J-wedding wrote:I was thinking about keeping them in my tank with a group of Xenotilapia.
That should really bring no problems, if the tank is big enough. Remember, Lestradea is an indefatigable swimmer! And as long as you don't pick out a species which, just like the Lestradea, is building big craters for mating-arena! But all the species you mentioned, don't do so. Years ago, I kept Lestradea with X flavipinnis and X. papilio "tembweII" too. No problems.
J-wedding wrote:And an important one, how do they combine with Synodontis?
Sorry. I'm drawing a blank on that one! I never kept Synodontis. I'm focused on cichlids.
Regards
Gerd

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”