pond suggestions?

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
jc_lewy

pond suggestions?

Post by jc_lewy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:42 am

I live in Utah where we get fairly cold winters but not all the time. I would like to do a cichlid pond. Does anybody have any suggestions on what kind of cichlids I should plant in it? I haven't made it yet so I'm not sure how big it will be. I do plan on putting my Red Ear Sliders in it but bring them in doors in the winter and do that with some of the cichlids.

Lewy

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Well... you have a choice to make. It's either going to be a fish pond, or it's going to be a turtle pond. Sliders will eat your fish (except maybe large fish, but they will demolish any young fish). As far as suggestions go, you can pick almost anything you want, as long as they come back inside before it gets too cold for them outside. This past summer, I did some Aulonocara outside.

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by coelacanth » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:28 pm

I would say you need to get a decent thermometer (ideally a max/min unit) to monitor the water temperatures (which can be very different from the air temperatures).
I had no trouble at all with Argentinian Gymnogeophagus, and some Apisto borellii from the same shipper until I brought them in a couple of weeks ago at a water temp of 12C (there was also a Hypostomus from the same source and some 'Blackfin Paleatus' Corydoras off Ian Fuller that also originated in Argentina). The same fish are behind me right now and are fat and healthy (when I brought them in I left them in a bucket for an hour to warm up a bit to room temperature, they fed as soon as they went into the aquarium and were courting that same night).
Under no cirumstances would I put Sliders or any other Chelonian and Cichlids in the same pond, they are predatory and very messy.

Return to “General Fish Topics”