How to remove blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) of your aquarium

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
king_acuarios

How to remove blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) of your aquarium

Post by king_acuarios » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:07 am

Hi! I was recommended to using glutaraldehyde for algae and this has gone very well in one of my aquariums. The treatment consists of using 5 ml of glutaraldehyde per 10 gallons of aquarium water at night for a period of two weeks. The glutaraldehyde that can be used is the medicinal one, or also come products specifically for freshwater aquariums that containing it, as is Seachem Flourish Excel and Api CO2 Booster, this last is the one I'm using. I've been one weeks already using it and the difference was really amazing. The glutaral, in addition to eliminate any type of algae including those you have in your aquarium, also provides CO2 to your plants. Please note, that there is one product of glutaral used as an industrial disinfectant, this can not be used for aquariums because that would kill the fish. This type comes mixed with other chemicals and detergents that affect to much the fish. Please don't use that kind of glutaral. If you want, you can find out more info about the glutaraldehyde on the internet but I really told you everything you need to know. Thanks for your attention guys, have a nice day! I forgot something! If you buy in a pharmacy, it has to be glutaraldehyde of 2%, no more please. There is one that came from 50% for example, that would kill the fish because it is too much amount, so it's better to buy the Seachem flourish excel or Api Co2 booster to secure that it safe to fish and invertebrates for freshwater aquariums. Thanks for read my post. Here I upload two videos of my tank, in this videos I want to show you it before and after the treatment. Regards.

Before use the treatment with glutaraldehyde:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeXRA1GKTk

After one week using the glutaraldehyde on my tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-pk5P3mpU

martellmike

Re: How to remove blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) of your aquarium

Post by martellmike » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Chemiclean by Boyd enterprises works great with one application. This worked in freshwater, but supposedly will also do saltwater. Do one dose wait 3 days, changes some water and algae gone in one week. Safe for fish, plants, bacteria..

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:58 am

IMO you don't need chemicals. Algae growth is always starts w/ ideal conditions for it to grow. Usually it's too much light and/or increased bio load.
I have had success of getting rid of it by:

1. Decreasing or keeping lights off for a week or two.
2. Also doing water changes everyday or every other day for a week or two. Be sure to scrub before every water change.

I eliminated it in a week and it's never been back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abrooks12376

Post by abrooks12376 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 pm

You can beat bga with erithromycin, I wouldn't use anything else. It thrives in low flow and high nitrates.

Return to “General Fish Topics”