WRONG FISH SENT FROM AQUABID SELLER

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
fishaddict

WRONG FISH SENT FROM AQUABID SELLER

Post by fishaddict » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:34 am

Hello Everybody!

I won an auction last week for some Geophagus pellegrini. I asked before I bid for assurance that they were true pellegrini. Seller was quite sure of his fish. I also asked how they would take care of it if they weren't the correct species and was told that they are sure and stand behind their products. This is a large seller and also owner of a Florida fish farm. I got the fish in yesterday and they were clearly Geophagus steindachneri. I have kept, spawned, and raised many fry before.
Don't need any more of them. Been there, Did that! The seller doesn't really want to talk about it. I do believe that it wasn't an intentional deception.
I know that this is illegal, but what are my rights and/or what is the best path to take after all communication about the problem has hit a dead end.

P.S. I know well enough not to take any of your suggestions as actual legal advice. Please feel free to express your knowledge on this topic. I will choose what I can use and disregard the rest.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: WRONG FISH SENT FROM AQUABID SELLER

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Did you get them from Bluegrass Aquatics? I recently saw that they were selling Geophagus pellegrini. I was suspecting that they actually had G. steindachneri due to the cheap price they were selling them at.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Also, more often than not, G. steindachneri is sold as G. pellegrini out of South America. A discerning/knowledgable seller of cichlids would have easily seen/understood the difference between the two species.

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Mark Smith wrote:Also, more often than not, G. steindachneri is sold as G. pellegrini out of South America. A discerning/knowledgable seller of cichlids would have easily seen/understood the difference between the two species.

I know that confusion. That's why I jumped on them from this guy. I can buy steindachneri all day long just about anywhere around here without paying for Overnight Priority. I would still bet out of those selling them locally around here probably 90% of those sell Geo s. as Geo p..

I agree with you also. Every person that sells fish has an obligation to correctly ID the fish no matter what they were sold to them as. There are probable hundreds of people out there that will just say, "That's what they sold them to me as." I have heard that way too many times.

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:48 pm

So what P's me off the most is that it has so far cost me $150 for $30 worth of fish.

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Below is a link to a pretty good video of my fish in question. i just made this video. This clip will enlighten you all on the characteristics that show clearly that these are Geo. steindachneri. Enjoy!

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/fisha ... sort=3&o=0

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Are you willing to say who you bought them from?

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 pm

I think it is Bluegrass Aquatics. I don't think they know their fish that well, as in addition to selling G. steindachneri as G. pellegrini, they are also offering for sale Pelmatochromis (should be Anomalochromis) thomasi and Jack Dempseys under the South American cichlid section on Aquabid.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Bluegrass Aquatics recently changed their add on Aquabid from Geophagus pellegrini to Geophagus steindachneri. I hope they will give you some sort of refund/satisfaction over selling you the wrong fish.

Abu Hudhayfah

Post by Abu Hudhayfah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am

Hello everyone, I have a question I have a male and female blue dovii, however I had the female by herself first ( about six months ). I just got the male two weeks ago and she laid eggs two days later. Anyway before any of the eggs hatched the male ate all of them. Now there is massive lip locking between the two. To the point where her lips are peeling and look swollen. And she is the one provoking the action ( telling him to come on ). They are in a 155 gallon bow-front and she has hiding places to go into but for some reason she doesn't..................can anyone help or offer some advice thanks ....................help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 am

Did the seller fix the mistake?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:04 am

I think they did but that was weeks ago, and the fish is not listed on Aquabid presently.

Return to “General Fish Topics”