Pond Closure 2014

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Jim Cumming

Pond Closure 2014

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 pm

With the overnight temperature tonight predicted to be 4C (~40F)) and about the same for the rest of this week, I decided that it was time to shut down the ponds. If I were keeping goldfish, koi, natives or some Uruguayan cichlids out there this time, I would be waiting about another six weeks But other than 12 Spotted Sunfish (Lepomis punctatus), a large pair of Central Longears (Lepomis megalotis megalotis) and a bunch of Fundulus chrysotus killies that can withstand a degree of cold, the rest are Central and South American cichlids. The water temperature today was about 18C (64F) in my 1200G pond, and about 14C (57F) in my Little Giant 100G pond. It never ceases to amaze me how beautifully colored and conditioned the fish are at the end of the pond season, not to mention the substantial growth they put on. I lost one fish this go-round ... a large male Green Terror. He had been ill indoors for some time prior to me putting him out in the pond, and despite being treated inside and seeming fine, he didn't make it through the season. Here are several pictures I took of some of the fish as I was netting them out. It's a little tricky holding the fish in one hand while taking a picture with the other. At least the camera didn't fall into the pond, although it and I did end up splattered with fish slime and pond water. Now to find tanks to put those fish in :?
Slide2.JPG
Lepomis megalotis megalotis male
Slide4.JPG
Lepomis megalotis megalotis female
Slide6.JPG
Paraneetroplus sp. Coatzacoalcos
Slide9.JPG
Paraneetroplus melanurus 'Red'
Slide17.JPG
exCichlasoma beani 10" male
Slide21.JPG
Andinoacara rivulatus female
Slide22.JPG
Paraneetroplus breidohri
Slide19.JPG
Paraneetroplus sp. Coatzacoalcos
Slide14.JPG
Lepomis punctatus
Slide24.JPG
Paraneetroplus breidohri
Slide23.JPG
Cichlasoma portalegrensis male
Slide10.JPG
Paraneetroplus melanurus 'Orange'
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

zenins

Re: Pond Closure 2014

Post by zenins » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Those first two native fish look awesome :)

Thanks for sharing

Jim Cumming

Re: Pond Closure 2014

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Well, it's been a bit of a strange pond year. Although I only had one loss, no breeding that I know of occurred. And about 3 weeks ago, we had a week of frost warnings that prompted me to 'call it a day'. Well, this week, they're calling for temperatures in the mid to high 70's. with lows around 50 to 60. Today was the perfect day (~75F) to get the pond cleaned up and ready for 2015. Then again, it could be snowing next week (did you read about Calgary?? Yikes!). Here's a pic of my pond 'put to bed' for the year.
pond ready for 2015.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “General Fish Topics”