Stocking the Pond :2014

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Jim Cumming

Stocking the Pond :2014

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri May 30, 2014 5:10 pm

After a slow start, I finally have my pond ready to take some fish. I had to replace my filter and pump this year and now they're in place. So tomorrow, the fish go in. I'll be adding some sunfish along with several species of cichlids and probably a few goldfish. My Green Terrors did so well last year, I'm going to try them again ... one male and two females. This time I'll collect some fry. By the way, I have a mallard duck on a nest in the yard, just back and to the right of the pond. She's been sitting in the ferns on her clutch of eggs for about a week now. About three weeks ago, I found her swimming in the pond, so obviously she liked what she saw and stayed. Here are a few pictures.
Slide7.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide8.JPG
Slide5.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Stocking the Pond :2014

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Once the duck eggs hatch, I hope mother duck doesn't take the 'kids' for a swim. I put a few fish in there that could "take out" a newly hatched duckling. Fortunately, there is a 10" jump up required for them to get in. So unless they get lifted in, that won't happen.The fish I put in today were 2- 12" male Paraneetroplus melanurus, 1- 10" male Nandopsis beani, 3- 8 to 10" Green Terrors (1M, 2F), 2- 8" male Cichlasoma portalegrense, 1- 8" female Paraneetroplus breidohri, and 11-3" to 4" Spotted sunfish (Lepomis punctatus). I'll probably put in a few more fish once I see how the dynamic looks. Right now, the 'beani' is the assertive' one, mainly chasing the 'rivulatus' around ... no harm done though. Here are some of the fish that went in today. By the way, the water temperature is a balmy 25.5C (78F).
Slide3.JPG
Slide7.JPG
Slide5.JPG
Slide11.JPG
Slide9.JPG
Slide12.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 pm

I have a beautiful pair of Lepomis megalotis megalotis that I have been wanting to get a spawn from. They are descended from WC parents that I obtained about 10 years ago. I was going to spawn them indoors, which I've done with this species (and others) several times before. But we are going away for the summer and I didn't want to have young fish (of any species) unattended to. So I decided to put them outside today in a 100G Little Giant stock trough. Hopefully they will have spawned a few times by the time I get back into town, and I'll be able to retrieve some young for the next generation. Here are a few pictures I took as I was putting them outside.
Slide2.JPG
Slide10.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide9.JPG
Slide5.JPG
- Albert Einstein

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 pm

I see those Longear Sunfish ( Lepomis megalotis megalotis ) in rivers and large ponds here in southern Ontario.

I should try to keep some outside on the patio in a large tub, but I will have to prevent the racoons and herons from having a meal though ;)

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:02 am

Hi Zenin,
I've caught Longears in Western Ontario in the Rushing River area. I believe they are the most northerly population of what's referred to as the Northern Longears, subspecies megalotis peltastes. Because of the short summer season, I find that they keep quite a small size and definitely need a major cool down period for their well-being.
Jim
- Albert Einstein

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 am

Putting Nothos view in a somewhat broader view, I think fish species with a broad distribution will, still, have to be adapted to the water they are found in.

That is, if a certain fish is found in both Spain and the Netherlands, the Spanish fish will be expected to be more sensitive towards cold, and so on.

Many people say - the species cna inhabit water of 10 and 30 C, so they are insensitive towards temperature - but I think it is better to say 'these fish face 10 C in winter and 20 C in summer, so obviously, it would be best to provide them with 20 C in summer and 10 C in winter.

zenins

Post by zenins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 pm

notho2000 wrote:Hi Zenin,
I've caught Longears in Western Ontario in the Rushing River area. I believe they are the most northerly population of what's referred to as the Northern Longears, subspecies megalotis peltastes. Because of the short summer season, I find that they keep quite a small size and definitely need a major cool down period for their well-being.
Jim
Thanks for the info :)

Return to “General Fish Topics”