Life in the Pond - Mid-Summer

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Jim Cumming

Life in the Pond - Mid-Summer

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:48 pm

My 1200G pond's "green pea soup" has finally cleared up after a week of using a small UV unit. Since having lost two of my eight Red Comet Goldfish to unknown causes, things have stabilized. In this video you can see some of the inhabitants feeding on floating Tetra Pond sticks. Along with the goldfish, you can see the male Green Terror (only feeds on sinking pellets), the eight exCichlasoma beani, a couple of Florida Sleeper gobies that stick very close to one another, and a pair of Australoheros sp. Red Ceibal in full breeding dress guarding a batch of young. The 'beani' are the most active feeders. No sign of any of them pairing yet but I'm hopeful. I hadn't seen my female Green Terror for a while but just after I shot this video, I spotted her close to the surface on one of the end shelves, surrounded by a cloud of her babies.
http://youtu.be/hLpgiqdfzcI
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Life in the Pond - Mid-Summer

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 pm

When I went outside to check on the pond, I saw that the female Adinoacara rivulatus 'Gold Saum' and her progeny were clearly visible in the sunshine. So I grabbed my camera. She has her babies on a concrete block, the top of which is a few inches below the surface of the water and right at the end of the pond. It's about as safe a place as exists in there. The young 'Terrors' are grazing on algae and tiny micro organisms and have been free swimming for about a week. She looked as if she was getting ready to attack my camera so I backed off and let them be.
http://youtu.be/_Gbod7eKPNM
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 am

Here's an update on the pond as of the end of August. Over late July and early August, there had been plenty of cool nights followed by low day time highs. So the water temperatures had been dropping to the low 20s and even high teens. Other than being a little less active, the fish had not suffered any ill effects that I can tell. But over the last two weeks there has been a heat wave, with day time highs reaching low to mid 30s. Here's a brief video of the pond. The GTs have another spawn and the Red Ceibals are still tending to their month old + fry. The 'beani' are continuing to grow with the largest hitting about 8". They are looking really good. I can't seem to see my two Sleeper Gobies and most of the Cichlasoma dimerus young have "diasappeared" - not unexpected.
http://youtu.be/TZt0OB1blbA
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Cichlids in the Pond - Update Sept 4 / 2013

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm starting to get a little bit concerned. Even though the cichlids that I put in the 1100G pond in early June are continuing to thrive, the night time temperatures the last few days have dipped below 10 C (50 F) and even the daytime highs are low to mid 20s. Today the maximum air temperature reached 19C (~66F) and the water temperature registered 21C (~70F). My 100G 'Little Giant' stock trough which contains some young Cichlasoma dimerus (Uruguay) registered 15C (59F) today, so I'll be most likely shutting it down within the next week. To say that the 'dimerus' were not moving very much, is a huge understatement. I'm going to keep the big pond going until the water temperature hits ~15C (~60F). A couple of years ago, I pulled out a foot long pleco, several Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito', some Red Ceibals and Lepomis megalotis on November 2nd. The air temperature was 1 C (~34 F) and the water temperature 4 C (~39F).Amazingly enough, everything made it inside okay.BTW, I don't normally make a practice of doing this so late. Here a short video I just took. You can see the Green Terror pair (presently with a new spawn tucked away somewhere - the female keeps rushing back to a sheltered spot inside a cinder block) along with a male Australoheros sp. 'Red Ceibal' and several exCichlasoma beani cruising about amongst the five Red Comet goldfish that are left (lost three).
http://youtu.be/1h4N-pG5Y_o
- Albert Einstein

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 am

for fishes from the south of Uruguay 4 C is nothing to be scared of. In fact, the only reason not to wait that long is one's own discomfort.

But to me, that's a very valid reason :D

Return to “General Fish Topics”