Stocking The Pond - June, 2013

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Jim Cumming

Stocking The Pond - June, 2013

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Well, I finally have my pond (1200G) up and running. This year, I decided to go with 8 Red Comet goldfish. I've never seen a more brilliantly red variant- like a Sarasa but without the white. These are in there because they are highly visible and active. But the really important pond inhabitants are some of my cichlids (sorry goldfish lovers). The returnees from last year are a beautiful Uruguayan species called Australoheros sp. 'Red Ceibal' (3M, 1F) and 8 exCichlasoma beani (Rio Presidio/Mazatlan). A year ago, the 'beani' were 2-3", and right now, they range in size from 4-6". I'm hoping that a pair will form in the pond. Speaking of spawning, part of the delay in putting the 'Red Ceibals' out is that a pair had spawned downstairs about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't bear to break up the family scene. But todayI did just that, and now there are about 100-1/4" fry downstairs without Mom and Dad. I'll be putting them outside in a smaller pond (100G) to grow them out some. Also, I recently had a pair of Cichlasoma dimerus (Uruguay - from Ray Quennel's wild caught pair) spawn and decided I'd put out 50 or so 1/2 - 3/4" fry into the pond as well. Most will become "feeders" I suspect for the larger predatory cichlids, but some might survive. I've got about 100 left downstairs for growing out plus my pair is tending to another batch of fry. Anyway, the water temperature is 22.3[sup]o[/sup]C and all fish (AFAIK) made the transition successfully. Now to just let nature take its course. I took a few pictures (not very good :( ) of the pond and some of the fish as they were going in.
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

slimbolen99

Re: Stocking The Pond - June, 2013

Post by slimbolen99 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 am

Great looking pond! Can't wait for my kids to grow up so we can put a couple ponds in. Do you do any filtration or aeration?

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks. I just wish I could keep the fish out longer. In Winnipeg, 4 months is about it. I don't have any aeration but the pond is filtered by a TetraPond Bio-Active Pressure filter with UV (UV's not working right now) driven by a submersible 1/4 HP pump. Once the water gets warmer (80+), I'll most likely aerate. Good luck on your plans for a pond.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Really nice pond Jim! Good job. Fish hobby must keep you busy 8)
Does any wild animals visit your pond to taste the fish?

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:Really nice pond Jim! Good job. Fish hobby must keep you busy 8)
Thanks, Alex. Yes, at times busier than I'd prefer to be. My pond used to be visited by raccoons but the pond is steep-walled and 30" (75 cm) deep, so they couldn't get at the fish. Also, before I put a fence up, deer used to come into my yard and eat the water lettuce, water hyacinth and some of my marginal plants.
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 pm

notho2000 wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:Really nice pond Jim! Good job. Fish hobby must keep you busy 8)
Thanks, Alex. Yes, at times busier than I'd prefer to be. My pond used to be visited by raccoons but the pond is steep-walled and 30" (75 cm) deep, so they couldn't get at the fish. Also, before I put a fence up, deer used to come into my yard and eat the water lettuce, water hyacinth and some of my marginal plants.
Yeah, racoons are the royal pain, I use to have pond too, in my other house.

Jim Cumming

Another addition

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:01 pm

I have five large Adinoacara rivulatus (2M, 3F). I decided I would put a pair in my pond today. The male is around 10", the female 8". It should be "interesting" if they spawn out there. At least the others have room to flee. Their preferred temperature range is mid 70-80 F and the pond is there ( 23.9 C or 75 F). Here are some pictures I took a few minutes ago just before putting them in the pond.
IMG_0541.JPG
Pair
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
Male
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG (88.69 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
Female.
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Jim, these Green Terrors look unhappy, but if they only knew about the size of the swimming space they will be in for awhile, they would smile...if they can!
Alex

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:58 am

Only Laetecara can smile :)

Matt
Alex Odesit wrote:Jim, these Green Terrors look unhappy, but if they only knew about the size of the swimming space they will be in for awhile, they would smile...if they can!
Alex

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:41 am

dogofwar wrote:Only Laetecara can smile :)

Matt
Alex Odesit wrote:Jim, these Green Terrors look unhappy, but if they only knew about the size of the swimming space they will be in for awhile, they would smile...if they can!
Alex

Ha ha, true, Smiley Acara

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 am

From what I've observed, fellows, the GTs are pretty darn happy now. They are swimming calmly and sedately around, leisurely picking at food like they don't have a care in the world. Much different than in the aquarium where they (and most of my fish) are somewhat frenzied and stressed. The pair of Astatheros sp. Red Ceibal are tending to a spawn, and the 'beani' are looking stunning. And the baby Cichlasoma dimerus are keeping out of harms way. All is good.
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 pm

A large pair of Green Terrors wasted no time in putting down a spawn. This is the first time I have put this species out side for the Summer and it certainly seems to be to their liking. You can see a few Red Comet goldfish flying overhead along with some exCichlasoma beani that have really taken to pond life. This is their second year out there. I guess it's like going to Summer camp :D .
Attachments
MVI_0549-001.jpg
MVI_0545.jpg
MVI_0547-002.jpg
MVI_0547-001.jpg
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 pm

notho2000 wrote:A large pair of Green Terrors wasted no time in putting down a spawn. This is the first time I have put this species out side for the Summer and it certainly seems to be to their liking. You can see a few Red Comet goldfish flying overhead along with some exCichlasoma beani that have really taken to pond life. This is their second year out there. I guess it's like going to Summer camp :D .
Almost heaven! Beani next to the Gold fish;)

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I must admit Alex, it's a pretty strange mix.
- Albert Einstein

ashleyco

Post by ashleyco » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:39 am

it's a pretty strange mix.

Return to “General Fish Topics”