Helostoma temminckii

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Alex Odesit

Helostoma temminckii

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:26 pm

I want to share pictures of my Kissing gouramis. 3 of them I have for about 5 years and largest 4.5 " TL.
They do a lot of cleaning, grasp on algae all day long. They grow slow compare to cichlids but steady, just keep getting larger with no consideration to it's age. My son just recently lost another Kisser who was close to 20 years old!
Alex
Attachments
Kissers.jpg
Kissers2.jpg
Kissers3.jpg

Bojan Dolenc

Re: Helostoma temminckii

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 am

Nearly 20 years, good! How do you feed theme?
Look at article: Are Kissing Gourami Specialized for Substrate-Feeding? Prey Capture Kinematics of Helostoma temminckii and Other Anabantoid Fishes
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 9/abstract

Look at this natural colored fish:
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

Alex Odesit

Re: Helostoma temminckii

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm

I've seen this picture Bojan. I also came across Green KIssers variety from time to time, but never when I was ready to add some more fish to my tanks. I kept Kissing gouramis for years though, and learn the best way, at least in my opinion to keep them healthy and live long life ( they generally live very long relatively to other aquarium fish I kept, the only few come close, these are Red tailed black shark Labeo BIcolor and several large Botia species (Clown loach and Orange tail loach)).
I feed KIssers twice a day, flake food containing a lot of spirulina and algae or some tablets with similar ingredients and babe fish food (evening) like dry Artemia or other powder food. The reason I came up with baby bytes food is that Kissers are slow feeders, with their small gulps and weak jaws, and if they have other active fish in their aquarium they (Kissers) may suffer from lack of food, in another words not eating enough for their body mass and future development. When they small it's not that noticeable, may be because they needs are smaller and it's enough algae and debris in aquarium to satisfy them, but when they get older the problem arise. They become almost emaciated from not enough food. I notice that during the years keeping these guys.
I also agree with the article you Bojan provided that this fish is not enjoying eat from the mid water level in aquarium, unless the food stick to the plants or drift wood. They mostly enjoy gulp the smallish food items from the top of the water or graze on algae tablets at the bottom of the tank.
Now considering pink version to be man made, I don't know. I have had read different sources saying that only Green Kissers are wild form, and other sources stating that Green came from Thailand and Pink from Java (with Greens being considerably larger fish). I don't have enough data to be 100% on this subject. Would love to know though.
So, yeah, very common fish, but not too many have luck to keep Kissers healthy for long time due to the wrong feeding pattern..
Alex

Return to “General Fish Topics”