Colombian Tetra

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
Alex Odesit

Colombian Tetra

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Few month ago came across Hyphessobrycon columbianus at some close by LFS. The fish was pretty drop in colour and very stress out. I took all 4 they had. I know how beautiful these guys can be.
They start shining now and they are very entertaining fish in my medium sized cichlid tank.
Alex
Attachments
Colombian Tetra 3.jpg
Colombian Tetra 2.jpg
Colombian Tetras.jpg

deeda

Re: Colombian Tetra

Post by deeda » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing them.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm

deeda wrote:Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing them.
My pleasure, glad you like it 8)

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Looks like a very nice group. If you want more of them, take that big male (center fish last photo) and put him with just one female (other three are all females) in a 10-15 gallon tank with a bunch of Java Moss on the bottom for about a week. I found them to be a very easily bred species, even had fry show up in a tank with adults. Large fry for a Tetra, and they grow fast.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Darrell Ullisch wrote:Looks like a very nice group. If you want more of them, take that big male (center fish last photo) and put him with just one female (other three are all females) in a 10-15 gallon tank with a bunch of Java Moss on the bottom for about a week. I found them to be a very easily bred species, even had fry show up in a tank with adults. Large fry for a Tetra, and they grow fast.
Thanks Darell.
Do you distinguish male from female at my picture by lengths of the dorsal? It does show one fish with pronounced taller dorsal (probably picture angle), but in reality I see two fish with equally longer fin then other 2 (bottom fish at my last picture). Either way it's all good, will have enough in case of desire to breed them. I can only imagine how beautiful large school of these tetras will look in the tank under the sun light.
Alex

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:12 am

I sex most Tetras by "candling". Shine a light from behind and you can see the shape of the air bladder, though with some species such as this one you can see it without the backlighting. Males have a large, somewhat rounded bladder, while females will have a more elongated bladder that bends around the larger silver sac that encloses the vital organs. It tends to work better with flattened species. I may be wrong, as doing this from a photo isn't easy. Long fins are usually males, though I bred them before the males even had long fins. I learned that breeding younger fish works better with Tetras, as they have relatively short lifespans in the wild. In aquaria, they can easily outlive their reproductive life, which is much shorter than a Cichlid's!
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Darrell Ullisch wrote:I sex most Tetras by "candling". Shine a light from behind and you can see the shape of the air bladder, though with some species such as this one you can see it without the backlighting. Males have a large, somewhat rounded bladder, while females will have a more elongated bladder that bends around the larger silver sac that encloses the vital organs. It tends to work better with flattened species. I may be wrong, as doing this from a photo isn't easy. Long fins are usually males, though I bred them before the males even had long fins. I learned that breeding younger fish works better with Tetras, as they have relatively short lifespans in the wild. In aquaria, they can easily outlive their reproductive life, which is much shorter than a Cichlid's!
Very interesting method of sexing Tetras, learn something new for me. Thanks!

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes, Tetras reproductive life is not too long. In my experiance 3-4 years in best case scenario. The longest breeding I have were Buenos Aires Tetra (Hyphessobrycon anisitsi). Also very prolific.

Return to “General Fish Topics”