Help me do a LL count?

Discussion on just about any fish related topic!
blackghost

Help me do a LL count?

Post by blackghost » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello all, Happy new year. I'm hoping that some of you might like a brief interlude from cichlids, and will help me identify these two Hampalas. :D

The only useful information I have found is in the original description of H. salweenensis, which gives distinguishing external characteristics for identifying all 6 species. According to this paper, H. salweenensis has 24/25 lateral line scales on the body plus 2 on the caudal fin (total 26-27). H. ampalong has 25-27 plus 3-4 on the caudal fin (total 28-31). My problem is... apart from not having a clear picture yet, I am also not sure where to stop at the gill end, or at the tail end. I get 26 in between these 'ends of uncertainty' :lol:

Would you like to give me a more experienced count? Please?

Here are my specimens...

Here is a link to the description of H. salweenensis. The diagram at the top of the second page shows the LL.
http://www.wdc-jp.biz/pdf_store/isj/pub ... /40401.pdf

I think they are H. ampalong for various reasons... there are no black margins in the caudal lobes; the mid blotch touches but does not cross the LL (very different when compared to Fishbase's picture of H. salweenensis, if it is correct); also both blotches are a more laterally compressed shape, and smaller.

A LL count, or even your opinion, would help me a lot. Or a suggestion of who to ask. :)
Mark Wright

blackghost

Re: Help me do a LL count?

Post by blackghost » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 am

I knew I was taking a chance putting Barbs on the Cichlid forum :lol:

Anyone know who is the best person to ask??
Mark Wright

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Wesley Wong is pretty knowledgable on Hampala species. I think you can find him on Facebook.

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Mark.

The concensus from some seems to favour ampalong.
Mark Wright

Return to “General Fish Topics”